New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Proper grinding and utilization of Golden Naked Oats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
nickharbour
Troll
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Proper grinding and utilization of Golden Naked Oats

I just made my first experimental batch with Golden Naked Oats and it didn't go quite as expected. Its hard to find many recipes out there using this ingredient but I did quite a bit of digging and it seems everybody just throws it right in there with their other grains to grind. I inspected the grains and it seems that the oats did note entirely crush. Maybe 30% or so had any break at all in their husk. Quite a lot of the oats would have been too small for even the tightest of grinds. As expected my efficiency took a hit and I also had a somewhat difficult lauter. Users of this grain, how do you get a reasonably good crush with this?

Just for giggles here's what i brewed, this batch was just designed to get a feel for the golden naked oats ingredient:

Name: Naked Amber
Ingredients:
8lbs 2-row
2lbs Golden Naked Oats
1lb Crystal 120
8oz Crystal 40
1/2 oz Magnum at 60 Min
1/2 oz Magnum at 15 Min
1/2 oz Magnum at 0 Min
Ale Yeast
Mash Process: Hockhurz Double Decoction Mash
Infuse to Protein Rest at 131 20min (1.25qt/lb thickness)
Infuse to Sacc Rest at 142 20min (1.5qt/lb thickness)
Decoct to Sacc Rest at 158 45min (15min decoction boil)
Decoct to Mash-Out at 168 10min (10min decoction boil)
Fly Sparged

I ended up with 5 gallons at 1.059 going into the fermenter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
kanzimonson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

I just made a beer with 10# of oat malt and 1# of golden naked oats (amongst other grains). I doubled crushed the oats for the same reasons you mentioned. I prefer to do this rather than adjust my mill (just one of those things I'm terrified of screwing up!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply