New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > A proper grain mill...why didn't I buy one sooner!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I bought a Barley Crusher last year. My efficiency prior, having the grains crushed by NB or Midwest, was all over the place. I instantly was getting a consistent 79% efficiency except for my wheat heavy brews (hefeweizen, etc). I know the kernels are smaller so for the last 2-3 brews (not just wheats) I adjusted the gap a little tighter and have now been getting a consistent 81% efficiency and no stuck sparges so I'm leaving the gap as it is. Since you have a Crankandstein you can definitely get higher than 73%.

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2778 View Post
That's $8.00 in savings over buying premilled grains.
Oops, I didn't realize you meant savings per batch. I thought you were adding up the total each batch costs since buying in bulk

Old 08-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
claytongilmore
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Maris Otter is a great one to buy a bag of too, but I find that it's easy enough to mimic it with other malts.
Ooooh, how do you do that? I just bought a sack of 2-row and would love to still be able to make my favorite recipes which call for MO (silly LHBS was all out).

Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2652 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytongilmore View Post
Ooooh, how do you do that? I just bought a sack of 2-row and would love to still be able to make my favorite recipes which call for MO (silly LHBS was all out).
I have bought MO and loved it. But I hate the trip to the LHBS, so I often do with what I have on hand, which is just about everything other than MO.

The last time I went through my english beer phase, I used pale malt and victory malt in a ratio that gave me the same color as the MO. Maybe replaced 10% of the pale malt with victory, don't remember.

I've read that you can get very close by replacing 15% of the pale with 10% munich and 5% carapils, but I haven't tried that (yet!).
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
claytongilmore
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
The last time I went through my english beer phase, I used pale malt and victory malt in a ratio that gave me the same color as the MO. Maybe replaced 10% of the pale malt with victory, don't remember.

I've read that you can get very close by replacing 15% of the pale with 10% munich and 5% carapils, but I haven't tried that (yet!).
Thanks! That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have the Barley Crusher and love it. 5-6 minutes for 15 ish pounds of grain. I buy in bulk but not the sacks but really want to. At least a sack of 2 row and then get the specialty malts as i need them but space is a problem and I'm not sure the best way to save them. I guess I could get some of the pet food conatainers (got one already that is great and holds about 25 lbs.) but I'm gonna think on this. $.80 a pound is pretty dang good.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My LHBS won't discount 50lb sacks....I just asked. But, his prices are very good compared to the big online stores.
I think Northern Brewer has some grains that are included in their $7.99 flat rate shipping. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I don't know how they do it. Shipping is expensive and UPS/FEDEX are filthy rich.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2652 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord View Post
My LHBS won't discount 50lb sacks....I just asked. But, his prices are very good compared to the big online stores.
I think Northern Brewer has some grains that are included in their $7.99 flat rate shipping. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I don't know how they do it. Shipping is expensive and UPS/FEDEX are filthy rich.
I get 55# sacks off the truck when my local microbrew gets pallets. Look into that. By far your cheapest option.

The trick is to make very good friends with the head brewer.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2778
I often hear the argument that few efficiency points is not worth the justification for purchasing a mill, however I'd have to totally disagree with this. Not only are batches and mash efficiencies incredibly consistent, but I now buy my grains in bulk at a cost of $.78 per pound compared to a $1.40 per pound. Right there I'm easily at about $8.00 per batch and I've run roughly 25 batches through the mill. The way I figure thing my malt mill has paid me $60 so far and will continue to make me $8.00 per batch.
If you save $8 per batch and have done 25 batches, haven't you saved $200 instead of $60?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #20
matt2778
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaar View Post
If you save $8 per batch and have done 25 batches, haven't you saved $200 instead of $60?
The mill cost $140

Quick Reply