New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Propane Burner on a Deck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Cement board or sheet metal is likely your safest option. I did notice my deck getting quite warm under my burner back when I did this. If nothing else, a spray bottle of water to keep the deck cool would help as well. Most importantly is that you recognize the inherent danger, and never leave it unnattended no matter what precautions you take.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
vp1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I rent and we have a raised wood deck off the main walk out. I brew on the deck since it is a natural second tier. The wood is pretty old, not treated and my propane burner will cause two small knots in the wood to leak (I guess sap) and turned it black. Started happening after I added a homemade wind guard so there is probably more heat concentrated below the burner. A few inch lift of the burner I think would fix the issue. Not so much a safety issue but more cosmetic since your deck is probably nice.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
annoyingrob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I throw my burner on my deck, I usually take the garden hose and spray down the area below the burner so that it's wet.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts

Charcoal tends to emit sparks that can ignite the wood deck. Unless your gas burner is really dirty with soot I don't see it issuing sparks. I see the charcoal as more hazardous to the wood deck than a propane burner.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
BrewLou
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Id always err on the side of caution with this. I would suggest the bricks underneath or some form of that as stated in this thread a few times. I use a turkey frier base for my boiling and I can literally feel the heat in the concrete depending on how full my kettle is. If I have to crank it up for a 7 gallon boil yeah it gets toasty under my feet. My base is barely off the ground though. Not sure on the height of yours. Id say my burner is no more than 3 inches off the ground max.

Primary 1 & 2: Empty
2ndary 1: Cantaloupe wheat
2ndary 2: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Mint Choc Porter, Irish Red, Pilsner

Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

My burner has a mounting nut on the bottom so I was able to fashion a round aluminum disk about 12" in diameter and place it under the burner. It serves to catch spills and shield the ground from heat. I use it on my deck all the time...well, until I finish my brewstand!

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
kevy_kev
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
....I brew in my garage.....
Make sure you have good ventilation in there because I would be more worried about carbon monoxide poisoning then a deck catching on fire.

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
Rob_B
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevy_kev

Make sure you have good ventilation in there because I would be more worried about carbon monoxide poisoning then a deck catching on fire.
Yeah, I should clarify. I brew at the edge (just under cover) of the two car garage with the door wide open. It's too damned hot here in Florida otherwise. Not to mention a window open for my hose to be ran into the garage and a garage fan blowing full speed. All combustibles far away and a fire extinguish handy at all times. Trust me I don't want to die or catch my house on fire and subsequently be killed by my wife if I did.

Seriously though why are people using a charcoal grill on a wood deck?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
shelly_belly
Someday Never Comes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
My burner has a mounting nut on the bottom so I was able to fashion a round aluminum disk about 12" in diameter and place it under the burner. It serves to catch spills and shield the ground from heat. I use it on my deck all the time...well, until I finish my brewstand!
Mine came with a heat shield like you describe and my deck doesn't even get warm under the burner.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #20
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
Seriously though why are people using a charcoal grill on a wood deck?
Is it that dangerous? I've never had any hot coals come out of mine. A lot of people I know do it, so I figured it can't be that dangerous.

Quick Reply