Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Problems measuring mash temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heferly View Post
You probably got the connection wet, as stated earlier....this busts the thermometer...search for waterproofing your thermo....you'll have to bake the probe (with plastic outside the oven) to dry it out first.....bobbym has an awesome writeup on all of this somewhere...it's a pretty common issue
+1 to this. I used my digital thermometer last weekend for my first all-grain, but I was careful not to let the end of the probe where the wire attaches get wet. I will be using Bobby's write up to waterproof it so I don't have to worry about it next time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsmith View Post
Definitely had this happen to me when I was doing a really thick mash (~1.25 qts/lb) in my kettle with a bag that was too small. So I got some bigger paint straining bags for my grain, got some bigger pots, increased my mash ration to 1.75 qts/lb, and got the weldless brewmometer from blichmann, and now I can control my mash temperature like a champ.

At first I used floating thermometers with my thick mash, but they seemed inaccurate and slow...but the main problem was the mash being too thick and the grains being too crowded. I then used to use one of those digital thermometers with the teflon cable and the probe, but apparently you aren't supposed to get the connection wet, which made my thermometer go haywire and then break. Now it's back to the trusty floating thermometer in one pot and the blichmann in the other one. The floating thermometers work well as long as your mash isn't too thick and you give it a bit of stirring every 15 min or so as C-Rider said.

I also recently bought one more thermometer ( Amazon.com: Traceable Long-Stem Thermometer: Industrial & Scientific ) and used a drill with a step bit to make a small hole in the lid so I can monitor the temperature when mashing and when cooling the wort after the boil.
The long stem termometer sounds interesting. Followed the link, but it never says how LONG the probe is.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
nefarious_1_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 to the floating thermometer posts. I also mash in a cooler with one.

Quick Reply