Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Problem - Peach smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Vagrant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Problem - Peach smell

I havent posted in a while, but here goes..

I brewed a (dang good) stout based off Tuck's recipe. I made a dumb mistake and didnt prime the first 12 or so bottles. So I primed the majority the right way, finished my bottles, then dumped the 12 bottles back into the bucket, primed it, then filled my bottles again. I've used that method maybe twice before.. I always forget to prime.

Anyway, I was smart enough to separate the ones I did right and my screw ups. I tried a screwup about 3 weeks ago and it smelled like peaches but tasted fine... Any guesses on that one? I've been working a lot lately but I dont recall reading about peach scent being related to any contamination (but I could be wrong).

I have read that, in other food applications, peach smells is a sign of some toxin. I drank the "peach stout" before I read that, and it didnt seem to hurt me or the 3 other people that tried it.

The other bottles by the way... Outstanding brew. Inch thick brown head, the initial bitterness mellowed out very well, sweet, but not too sweet, I could go on...

Any guesses on the problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
tasting of peach:
having an aroma and flavor associated with fresh, ripe, uncut peaches
generally an ester from fermentation; overripe fruits are generally a sulfur and considered a fault.
That is taken from this site:

BJCP Vocab Words

Which is a great site for determining flavors and how to get them and prevent them in your beers, and just look up general homebrew knowledge.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Vagrant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm, it was only in a few bottles and not all though?

Old 03-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Could have been oxidation too. From teh BJCP Vocab site:

Quote:
staling: degradation of character by having contact with oxygen, manifesting as stale, sherry-winey, rotten-fruit or vegetable, acidic, cardboard, papery, musty, and rancid
It gives other definitions and explinations for oxidation this is just #4.

Quick Reply