*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Priming with Malted barley?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Guthrie101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming with Malted barley?

I was wondering if anybody had every primed with fine crushed malted barley. I am trying to brew to the 1516 purity law and was wondering how they prime. Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Malted barley needs to be mashed and its starches need to be converted to sugars. Yeasts can't ferment starches.

I don't think you're gonna get good results by adding wort to your bottling bucket. You'd have to add a significant amount of wort in order to get a decent level of carbonation. You'd also be adding more dextrins to your beer which would change the taste of your beer significantly.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski08
You'd also be adding more dextrins to your beer which would change the taste of your beer significantly.
One of the main benefits of kraeusening or priming with gyle/wort/speise is that you are NOT changing the dextrin concentration of the beer. And it doesn't take much; on the order of a quart of 1.050 wort/beer in a 5 gallon batch is about right IIRC (please use a kraeusening/priming calculator).

Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
One of the main benefits of kraeusening or priming with gyle/wort/speise is that you are NOT changing the dextrin concentration of the beer. And it doesn't take much; on the order of a quart of 1.050 wort/beer in a 5 gallon batch is about right IIRC (please use a kraeusening/priming calculator).
i don't understand the logic behind this.

theoretically you're brewing up another beer on a much smaller scale without hops or any other additions. i've never had a beer ferment out to the density of alcohol or water (~1.00) and i usually end up with a FG around 1.01-1.020 depending on the amount of unfermentables i add. i figured the difference between these two gravities is due to unfermentable dextrins that the yeast weren't able to munch away on.

because a simple sugar priming solution will ferment to a gravity of ~1.00, a 1.050 simple sugar priming solution would be a lot more effective than adding a complex and simple sugar wort solution of 1.050 considering a percentage of sugars won't ferment out.

these sugars will then add to the beer flavor effecting the overall taste.

...and after typing all that i remember that i've heard of brewers priming with DME...so i'm assuming it's probably safe to prime with wort at the correct gravity.

but will someone please explain to me the reasoning behind why my logic doesn't make sense?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Kaiser wrote it out far better than I ever could:
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kraeusening

Old 05-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
thegerm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

unmashed/unboiled powdered malted barley is also teeming with bacteria and would be a guaranteed bomb if you're bottling.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
i don't understand the logic behind this.

theoretically you're brewing up another beer on a much smaller scale without hops or any other additions.
No. You're taking actively fermenting beer from the next batch to prime the batch that's done fermenting and is ready to bottle.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Quick Reply