Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Primary / No More Bubbles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

FWIW, I stopped using a secondary many years ago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Secondarys certainly have a purpose, but are really only required in special circumstances, like any beer that requires long-term aging (high ABV, lagers, sours), or special additions to the beer (fruit, woods, etc.).

For standard ales, the only real reason to use a secondary is pure cosmetics in helping to clear the beer. There are certainly lots of other ways to accomplish that goal as well without use of secondary, like whirlfloc/irish moss in the boil, gelatin, and cold-crashing.

If you don't care about the factors above on any given brew, no reason to secondary. Personally, I rarely secondary for anything I'm going to drink at home, but I often secondary for beers that I know are going to be contest entries.

Secondary is far from required, but don't let anyone tell you that you NEVER need them, because they have their purposes.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 62

It'll settle out in its own in a couple weeks.

Oh, and you can put the gravity sample in the little storage tube that the hydrometer came in. That way, your samples use about half the amount of beer that you'd use in the big sample tube. Cheers!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
XxCaseyBrewxX
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I'm actually using a SS conical, so there is no transfer to secondary. My buddy let go of it for cheap

Anyway, at this point I will need to start applying this rule on this next weekend's batch. I already dumped the yeast and have since started to dry hop. It does smell (and taste) great! I can't wait to discover what it tastes like after reading all this...

Thanks guys! I'll send an update following the cycle of my next batch...

Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #15
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

oh! well, if i had a conical, id be dumping the yeast after you have reached FG for at least a week or two. I don't secondary, but there's no reason to take unnecessary risks. IMHO if you have a conical, do a dump.

Quick Reply