Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Preventing Chill Haze with Mash Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #1
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Preventing Chill Haze with Mash Technique

many of my recent brews are suffering from chill haze. it's especially disappointing in my very light and very tasty belgian golden strong ale. i've read all the posts regarding chill haze and most of them only talk about fixing the problem after the fact. it also seems to be the consensus that the proteins involved in chill haze can originate in a number of different place in the brewing process; during the mash, at hot break, and at cold break. i understand the processes that need to take place during hot break and cold break to reduce protein in the wort, but i'm unclear how chill haze can be reduced during the mash. is it simply a matter of preventing grain particles from leaving the mash, i.e. setting a solid grain bed, volaufing, and only transfering super clear sweet liquor to your kettle? or, are there other steps that i'm missing?

TIA!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It's a matter of getting complete starch conversion. If you are not converting all the starch in the grain to sugars (maltotriose/maltose), then starches may remain and are the factor of chill haze.

In order to see if you are completely converting in your mash, you can do a simple iodine test.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some people use gelatin finnings in the secondary to help reduce the haze. Some people I have talked to say this totally will fix the issue.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to vote for Irish Moss myself.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Some of the things that help to reduce chill haze are complete conversion of starch to sugar which a longer mash time helps. Using a good fining agent such as Whirlfloc. Quick chilling the wort after the boil. Aging beer long enough and then chill quickly to serving temperatures to drop the yeast to the bottom which can mimic chill haze. Not using wheat in the recipe which will cloud beer. Note that wheat beers are usually cloudy anyway and it is expected.

You may already know all this stuff but I am just trying to help you think about your process and maybe you will think of something that might be the problem.

I don't have completely clear beer all the time and do not concern myself as long as it tastes great. Young beer is mostly the problem in a lot of cases. They have not had enough time to settle out.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
crimpshrine27
Recipes 

Default chill haze

chill haze is different than starch haze. Starch haze should be present regardless of temperature. Good mashing should prevent it by complete digestion of starch. Chill haze only forms at lower temperatures when proteins and polyphenols complex and form haze producing particles. Aim to remove most of one i.e. all protein by a protein rest in mashing and using irish moss in the boil. Followed by fast cooling to remove hot and cold trub. Condition at low temperatures to allow remaining complexes to form then precipitate. If possible condition down to ~0 C for a day or two. Permenant chill haze forms if your conditioning temperature goes up and down. Gelatin is used to remove suspended yeast.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
INeedANewHobby
Recipes 

Could be high protein malt. I had a 55# bag that every batch I made with this as the base, was chill hazed. The last batch of the 55# bag was clear, after trying EVERYTHING mentioned above and then some.

What fixed mine was actually lowering the protein level of the total grist. Some malts, particularly real inexpensive brands, are not as good as others and will have through the roof levels of nitrogen and protein. Everyone says it is solely a conversion issue and not getting a good grain bed to filter through, but that's not always the case. For mine, it meant instead of 90% of the grist being that malt, I subbed in some 6 row malt (and everyone will tell you 6 row tends to haze easier, but not if your 2 row base is that high in protein) and some rice. By doing this and this alone, my last batch with this malt was crystal clear!

Again, that might not be your problem with the haze, but since it is rarely discussed on this forum as a possibility, I feel the need to share. Hope it helps.

Last edited by INeedANewHobby; 03-23-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

There's also another product available (besides the finning agents we usually discuss). I don't know if it is available to the homebrewer though.
W. R. Grace - Chill-Haze and Chill-Proofing

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Not getting a fast cold break will make it hazy too. I use two Whirlfloc tablets and cool it really fast in 10-15mins.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 03-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I find that too many homebrewers diagnose haziness as being chill haze; there are a number of things that lead haziness including incomplete conversion, an inadequate hot/cold break, moving the beer to quickly to packaging, etc.

If you have complete conversion, I suspect your rate of chilling is the weak link in your process; if you work to chill faster, encouraging a stronger cold break, your clarity will improve (all things equal). Another thing to consider is that haze could lead to stability issues down the road, as the compounds that haven't been precipitated out of solution are to blame.

Jason

Quick Reply