I am about to dive into my first partial mash and I have a couple questions.
1. I am going to buy a grain bag from AHS. I was planning on getting a nylon grain bag. I was going to get a 'large' (up to 6lbs) but is it worth an additional $1.50 for 'jumbo' (up to 15lbs). I ask because I might go to AG in the future.
2. How important is controlling the pH. I know this is important for AG, but for PM? I don't know my water's pH, but I am going to check it soon.
3. I think I am going to make a Kolsch. Has anyone made the Kolsch kit from AHS? I would like to know ahead of time what I am going to use, I might make my own.
Anyone prefer White labs or Wyeast for the Kolsch yeast?
4. Should I pay for the 'yeast fuel'? I have gotten it in the past and had strong fermentation, does it really help? I guess I am superstitious now.
5. Should I pay $0.99 for an ice pack to keep my yeast cool?
Here is my recipe if it matters:
2 lbs. Bohemian Pilsner Malt (Moravian) 1.8L
1 lb. munich malt (4-7 L)
8 oz. Flaked Wheat 2.0 L
Mash 90 min at 152F
4lbs Extra Light DME 1.0-3.0 L
1 oz. Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (aroma)
White Labs Kolsch
Boil size: ~3 gallons
Final Batch: ~5.25 gallons
OG: 1.052 FG: 1.008
Lot's of questions, thanks in advance.