The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Preheating your (Cooler) Mash tunn.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
stever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Like pseudochef I use my full volume of strike water heated to 175 then close the lid. In around 20 minutes or so it will be near the desired temp. Seemed to me to be easier than adding two separate volumes of water and trying to hit my temp. Thanks to bobby_m for the idea.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It seems pretty evenly split down the middle between the heat water to 175 and let cool to strike temps, and the use hot tap water methods...

I guess I'll have to give them both a try and see which ultimately works for me...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-24-2008, 02:29 AM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I used to preheat. Found it to be a wasted step and waste of time.

Now I just adjust my strike temp to allow for loss.

I mean the choice is to preheat with hot water for 20 minutes...or raise my strike water by 8 degrees....

Seems that the latter is quicker and more efficient.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:53 AM   #14
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Now I just adjust my strike temp to allow for loss.

I mean the choice is to preheat with hot water for 20 minutes...or raise my strike water by 8 degrees....
I tried that for a few batches, using Beersmith as a guide for my strike temperature...since it has a built-in equipment profile that matches my gear, I thought it would be dead on. Problem is, I'd end up with a mash that started about five degrees too hot, and was 5 degrees too cold by the end.

Results for me are more consistent if I preheat with hot tap water, chose the "preheat tun" option in Beersmith and heat my strike water to about 3 degrees over what the program tells me. Using this method, I only seem to lose about 2 degrees over the duration of the mash.

Quick Reply