Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Preheating your (Cooler) Mash tunn.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Preheating your (Cooler) Mash tunn.

I'm wondering what you who use coolers do in regards to pre heating your coolers before you actually add the grain/strike water.

I've seen some info where people bring a gallon of water to a boil and add that in, the drain it after a half hour or so...others just heat their strike water higher than strike temp and let it cool to whatever a strike water calculator tells them their temp should be, then add the grain.

Others still heat up 5 gallons of water to 170, put that in the cooler, then drain that after 30 minutes...

What do you all do?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
vfinch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I heat a gallon and let it sit for probably 15mins. The first time I used the 5gal Igloo cooler I forgot to pre-heat and it sucked quite a few F out of the mash. Pre-heated it held temperature awesome over 60mins (about 2F).

Next Up: Something...

Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I run the faucet till I get the hottest water, then I fill it a third and let it sit for at least 20 minutes or about the time it takes me to heat my mash liquor.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
thebull

Recipes 

I have ten gallon coolers and heat about two gallons to 175 and let it set until I'm ready to add the actual mash water. Some have said that boiling water has warped their coolers and I'm not going to see if it warps mine. My temps hold fine.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #6
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I also fill mine with hot tap water, about half full. (My cooler is just 5 gallons.) Slap the lid on, and let it sit while I mill my grain. So far, so good.

I think the important thing is to be consistent with your procedures each time you brew. That way, you can accurately make adjustments (if necessary) to your strike water temp.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I add my strike volume at 175°F...usually takes about 20-30 minutes to cool down.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #8
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I do something similar to Chef. I bring my strike water 15F higher than my mash temp then dump it all in the MLT. Some heat is lost in transfer and usually within 5 minutes I'm at 10F above my mash temp and it's time to dough-in.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Thanks, gang...

I did notice on my reading, the need like Blindlemonlars said, to be consistant each time.

Up til now my mini-mashes have all been in 2 gallon coolers, but Wally World had 5 gallon igloos on sale for 18 bucks and I couldn't resist....Now I just gotta take the parts list for Flyguy's conversion over to the hardware store tomorrow!

I think I'm going to initially go with the hot tap water suggestion for a bit and see how it goes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 05-24-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #10
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I preheat mine with very hot tap water. I drain it just before adding the strike water which is about 5 degrees over the desired strike temp. I let it cool until it is at the perfect temp then add the grain. I get very consistant and acurate mashes this way.

Cheers,
Rich

Quick Reply