Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > pre-boil measurements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
PavlovsCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pre-boil measurements

The wort coming out of the tun is 153 F. Do you correct for temp for the gravity? The on-line conversion I used only corrects up to 120.

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

you'll get a very unreliable measurement and correction at mash temps. I take a sample to the freezer. It only takes about 10 minutes or so to cool to 80+ Then I take the reading and dump back in the kettle. I usually have the sample in the kettle before the boil begins.

Really, though, I'm wondering why I even take that reading. I'm not adding DME no matter what, so I really get nothing from the reading other than confirmation conversion happened. I can taste the wort for that... I may just stop taking this pre-boil reading.

Last edited by BrewBrain; 04-12-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

Doh! After I posted this, I just happened to think about this while sitting at a red light. Why not just cool the sample to the post boil/cooled temp. I'm writing down everything just to try and get a handle on the whole process. I sampled gravities from each running, just to see how much sugar I was getting out of the mash and subsequent sparges. At this stage, I'd rather have too much info than not enough, then sort it out later in front of the tube with a cold one.

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Quick Reply