The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > The Power of H+

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
greg75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lendl
It also smells like crystal meth or something, really chemically smelling stuff...I stopped using it, but Im sure it works.
I'm sold. You had me at "crystal meth". Although I think my beers could be improved on with a little crack character added to it...

Seriously, that kind of scares me now that you say it has strong chemical smells. Did you notice any of this in your finished brews, or was it just in the strike water itself before the mash? I hit 71% on my second batch sparge yesterday, so if I can eventually hit 75% without the 5.2 buffer, I'll probably just forego using it, especially if it gives off funky odors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg75
I'm sold. You had me at "crystal meth". Although I think my beers could be improved on with a little crack character added to it...

Seriously, that kind of scares me now that you say it has strong chemical smells. Did you notice any of this in your finished brews, or was it just in the strike water itself before the mash? I hit 71% on my second batch sparge yesterday, so if I can eventually hit 75% without the 5.2 buffer, I'll probably just forego using it, especially if it gives off funky odors.
No just the stuff itself smells. It doesnt affect the beer flavor at all. I stopped using it just because...no real reason, I just stopped using it. Im sure it works, but I didnt notice any difference in effecincy or anything.

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #13
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My understanding of pH adjusters is that they are composed of salts, and the salts dissolved in water form ions, which give a lowering change to the pH. Also, trying to understand how Palmer explains pH and hardness, is that he links pH, and adjustment by salts, to the alkalinity of the water, which IIRC, is the available calcium (carbonate?) of some form.

All I know is I get confused every time I try to think of pH separate from alkalinity. Since I have a pool, a salt water, chlorine-ion generator type pool, and I'm generally half in the bag whenever I try to adjust the pool pH.

I have come to try to adjust pH in my pool with Muriatic acid, and think I want to use phosphoric acid (like the Brew/Pub) in my beer, rather than dump salts and minerals in it. The most direct way, in other words. Why add a bunch of minerals/salts to relatively soft well water? I just want to change the pH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 04-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

The standard in Europe now is to add lactic Acid to the mash to lower PH.

Alkaline sparge water will cause your mash PH to lower quicker but for anything other than pilsners or other light colored beers it shoud not matter. Odds are you will be done gathering your runnings before the PH drops enough to be a problem.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg75
Seriously, that kind of scares me now that you say it has strong chemical smells.
It's just a simple phosphate buffer I think. It may smell like chemicals but it won't hurt you and once it's diluted it will be undetectable.
Keg 2: Empty

Old 04-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #16
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I don't do a thing to adjust my pH. I've never even checked. It still comes out as great beer.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 04-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #17
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Adjustments are really only needed if you have screwy water with a high PH and are brewing light colored beers with said water.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Quick Reply