Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Post Grain Grinding Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
archmaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Post Grain Grinding Question

I have been buying my grains already crushed from my LHBS, but this last batch my efficiency was off by almost 20%. I thought it might have been due to the wind and cold dropping the temperature of my tun (from 155 to 148 in 45 minutes), more than normal and went ahead and finished out the beer.

As part of my cleanup, I just dump the grains on the ground.

Well several weeks later, I noticed what appears to be a very fine grass growing in the same area and this being a patch of land I just recently cleared there is nothing anywhere near it that is even growing.

Has anybody seen this before?

I would think with the malting, grinding, and mashing process there would not be enough of the embryo to start germination.

I am prepared to meet my maker, however, I am not sure that my maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me. -Churchhill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
mbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

archmaker,
whatever is sprouting on that pile, it is not the spent grain. Could be seeded by airborne vectors.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

Old 01-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, I would say it certainly isn't grain growing. However, spent grain makes awesome compost/mulch, and I would suspect that it's helping add fertility to that soil so other things can grow.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Quick Reply