Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Post-boil gravity just a few points higher than pre-boil?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Post-boil gravity just a few points higher than pre-boil?!?

I brewed an ESB on Saturday and something I can't explain happened:

I took the preboil gravity and it came out at 1.049 (chilled to 60). After boiling and chilling, I took the OG sample, chilled to 60, and it came out...1.051?!? I had 6.75g. preboil and minus trub/hop absorption I ended up with UNDER 5g in the FV yet my gravity only went up 2 points?!?

The samples were taken as follows:

preboil, I cracked the BK valve and ran some wort from the kettle (all runnings collected and boil almost going) into the test jar, cooled in bucket of ice water.

postboil, I pinched tube about halfway thru racking into FV and filled test jar, cooled in bucket of ice water.

Any possible explanation??

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
bolts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's likely the wort wasn't sufficiently mixed together. Or maybe the hydrometer really likes 1.050.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts View Post
It's likely the wort wasn't sufficiently mixed together. Or maybe the hydrometer really likes 1.050.
I'm hoping it's the former, although it's funny...most of my beers come out 1.040-1.050...

From now on I'm taking hydro samples from a mixed BK for preboil and a mixed FV for postboil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply