Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it possible to mash for too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
pnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Default Is it possible to mash for too long?

damm noobs!

I've got about 8 pounds of grain that has been sitting at 140 or so for an hour. I am doing this in my oven, with the grains in stock pots. In my last few partial mash beers, the oven stayed at an even 150 so I figured that was what it would do this time. I guess the larger amount of grains is messing with the oven temp.

So I turned the oven up a tad and am now closer to 150. the grains have been soaking for nearly one and a half hours now. an hour at 140 and about half hour at near 150. actually, I just took another temp and it's around 144.. dammit.

What effect might this have on my beer?

the iodine test is still turning black so I know I need to soak longer and I'm guessing at a higher temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
damm noobs!

I've got about 8 pounds of grain that has been sitting at 140 or so for an hour. I am doing this in my oven, with the grains in stock pots. In my last few partial mash beers, the oven stayed at an even 150 so I figured that was what it would do this time. I guess the larger amount of grains is messing with the oven temp.

So I turned the oven up a tad and am now closer to 150. the grains have been soaking for nearly one and a half hours now. an hour at 140 and about half hour at near 150. actually, I just took another temp and it's around 144.. dammit.

What effect might this have on my beer?

the iodine test is still turning black so I know I need to soak longer and I'm guessing at a higher temp?
A long cold mash... will be a VERY dry beer. Low temps, equal longer to convert.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
pnj
Recipes 

eh..

Now the grains have been sitting at 150 for another hour and I still get black when I do the iodine test. But the wort is sweet tasting... what gives?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You are getting some conversion if it is tasting sweet. The iodine test works well so trust it. An oven is a poor way to mash. You are much better off with a cooler/mash-tun. They are not too expensive either.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 05-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Low temperatures mean a slower conversion, beta amylase is active down to 130F, but alpha doesn't do much down there.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3148 Times on 3056 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
You are getting some conversion if it is tasting sweet. The iodine test works well so trust it. An oven is a poor way to mash. You are much better off with a cooler/mash-tun. They are not too expensive either.
Heck, he'd be better off with a pot on the stove top and monitoring temps with direct fire.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
eh..

Now the grains have been sitting at 150 for another hour and I still get black when I do the iodine test. But the wort is sweet tasting... what gives?
Stop doing the freakin' iodine test! It's so easy to get a false reading that I find it nearly useless. If you mash for an hour or more at temps from 145-160F, you WILL have conversion.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
pnj
Recipes 

The iodine test is fun and it's new to me, so why not do it?

I ended up with an OG of 1.050 after all was said and done and now I'm putting together the plans for a cooler mash tun. I learned a bunch during my time last night and that's most important to me.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

"The iodine test is fun and it's new to me, so why not do it?"...becasue it's easy to get false results and it's not necessary. Good enough for me....

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so sayeth Denny!!! All hail Denny King of the Batch Sparge!!

Nah he is right its all to easy to get a false reading...

Quick Reply