The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pony eKeggle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #11
mrbippers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock View Post
It is not realy an issue to plug them in separate circuit. The breaker pannel is about 5' from where i plan to brew. I will be able to make a circuit only the eKeggle.

With 2x 2000w heater can i plug them direct without controller? Like run the 2 element until boil and unplug one element to keep a smooth boil? Without controller and with 120v heater i will be able to make something really low-budget!

What do you think?
I'd have concerns about whether you would keep a smooth boil of 6+ gallons (your pre-boil volume) with only a single 2000W element. If you want a simpler/cheaper method than the PID, look into a PWM. There's a nice thread here.

As far as the GFCI, lots of people use 50 amp "spa panels" that you can get for around $50. Cheaper than buying the breaker alone. Actually if you are looking into an electric setup you should check the "electric brewing" section of this forum, tons of great info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #12
AiredAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

You need about 2400 watts per hour to boil off one gallon per hour. There are on line calculators that will help determine what size elements you need. I would suggest you get the spa panel type of breaker as mentioned above, and look into PMW control. I use that on my eKeggle with great success, instant response to a boil over threat, and easy to set the rate of heating or boiling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply