The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > PM Lager Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
BarnabyHooge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default PM Lager Attempt

I'm going to take a trip up to my parents place in WI and give a lager a shot w/ my father. They way they're garage and connecting basement is heated in the winter, all we'll have to do is move the carboy to different spots to acheive the proper fermentation temps.

Anyway, I'd like to do a partial mash, and preferably a dark lager. From the few threads I saw, it sounds like this may take too long to lager as we'll probably only have 2 plus months to do it. Thoughts? Do they all take 4 months at lagering temps to smooth out?

Any recomendations for a good first lager partial mash recipie?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnabyHooge View Post
Do they all take 4 months at lagering temps to smooth out?

Any recomendations for a good first lager partial mash recipie?
A lower gravity beer should be good to go in your 2 month window, as long as you can force carbonate. I did AHS Schwarzbier as my first lager, and it was outstanding. It's available in minimash.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

Excellent, I'll have to see if I can get that in time. I have more than two months including bottling, it just needs to finish lagering by mid to late March.

EDIT:
The more I read the more I hear the Schwarzbier takes a few months to hit its peak. This is the first time we'll be brewing together and I know we'll want to get at it ASAP. I think I might go for a good sharp pilsner.

Last edited by BarnabyHooge; 01-15-2009 at 01:47 AM.

Quick Reply