Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pliny the Elder recipe questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #31
cercueil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This will be my next brew..It's only my second all grain so I'm naming it Pliny Junior because I figure I will get bad efficiency. I actually never had it before because I live in NJ but once Zymurgy had it as #1 I figured I guess I'll brew it since I can't get it. I know it won't be anywhere close but as long as its a good IPA I'll be happy.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #32
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How much money are you spending on hops for 5 gallons of a Pliny clone. The clone recipe in Brewing Classic Styles has something like several pounds of hops for a 5 gallon batch...

Old 08-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #33
paradoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny_norman View Post
How much water did you use in total for this one? I did this recipe a couple of weeks ago: I used 8 gallons but collected less than 4 (90 minute boil). I reckon the hops must have soaked up at least a gallon.
I started the boil with 8 gallons, and had 6 gallons into the fermenter. I typically lose about 1.25-1.5 gallons from the boil, so I had about 1/2 gallon to hop loses.

Primary: Pliny the Elder, Smoked Porter
Secondary: Apfelwein
Kegged: Bee Cave Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Apfelwein
Bottled: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Next up: Pliny the Elder, my own IPA, Sake, homemade ginger ale

Old 08-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #34
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.berta View Post
How much money are you spending on hops for 5 gallons of a Pliny clone. The clone recipe in Brewing Classic Styles has something like several pounds of hops for a 5 gallon batch...
I think I paid 55-60 bones for all the hops in mine. I used little over a pound, 18oz's or so.

I don't know about you guys but mine came out pretty brutal. I brewed it about 4 months ago and it's just starting to settle down. Didn't come out smooth like it does at Russian River. Still damn good though.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #35
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't mind using hops to bitter a beer but do any of you think that dry hopping is worth it? From what I've read it just adds aroma. While I agree that smelling a beer is great would I want to spend $10-$20 extra to dry hop the beer? Has anyone compared the same recipe of a regular IPA and one that was dry hopped. Just wondering if the extra expense is worth it?

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #36
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have a question regarding the dry hoping aspect of the recipe? Is it ok to leave the hops added for the entire time? The Hop schedule calls for different hops at different intervals. I do not have to remove the first set of dry hops before adding the next in line do I?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #37
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cercueil View Post
I don't mind using hops to bitter a beer but do any of you think that dry hopping is worth it? From what I've read it just adds aroma. While I agree that smelling a beer is great would I want to spend $10-$20 extra to dry hop the beer? Has anyone compared the same recipe of a regular IPA and one that was dry hopped. Just wondering if the extra expense is worth it?
I don't think dry hopping only effects the smell of the brew. I could be wrong here, but I think that referring to it as "hop aroma" is just a way of suggesting that it doesn't add any bitterness to the brew, because the hops must be boiled in the wort to add bitterness. So whatever flavor is imparted via dry hopping is referred to as "aroma". I have noticed a huge difference when dry hopping vs not. I dry hop all my IPA's and APA's as a result, but then again I'm a hophead.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #38
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I have a question regarding the dry hoping aspect of the recipe? Is it ok to leave the hops added for the entire time? The Hop schedule calls for different hops at different intervals. I do not have to remove the first set of dry hops before adding the next in line do I?
It's been a while since I read this article, but I think Vinny describes leaving them in the whole time. Actually I want to say that they even blow CO2 into the fermenters to stir up the hops that have fallen out of suspension. I could be making that up, but I remember something like that. I think they just dump the yeast, but leave all the hops in the tank.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #39
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehillbrewer View Post
I think I paid 55-60 bones for all the hops in mine. I used little over a pound, 18oz's or so.

I don't know about you guys but mine came out pretty brutal. I brewed it about 4 months ago and it's just starting to settle down. Didn't come out smooth like it does at Russian River. Still damn good though.
I'm brewing 10G of this on 8/30. I'm following the recipe Vinny put in the last Zymurgy though, which only uses 12.5 oz per 5 gallon batch. My total hop cost is: $48 for 10G, or $24 for 5G. You should start buying in bulk, especially if you're going to be making big IIPA's like this.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #40
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnoona View Post
I don't think dry hopping only effects the smell of the brew. I could be wrong here, but I think that referring to it as "hop aroma" is just a way of suggesting that it doesn't add any bitterness to the brew, because the hops must be boiled in the wort to add bitterness. So whatever flavor is imparted via dry hopping is referred to as "aroma". I have noticed a huge difference when dry hopping vs not. I dry hop all my IPA's and APA's as a result, but then again I'm a hophead.

Thanks for this comment. I have only made one other IPA and I did dry hop it but I dont know the difference versus non-dry hopping. I love hops anyway so maybe the next time I'll buy more. For this Pliny clone I'm only doing 1 round of dry hops.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Quick Reply