Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pliny the Elder recipe questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #101
Jipper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
Did any one listen to last Sundays session on dry hopping? I was half ass listening at work, and they where talking about pliny, and said that they use hop extracts in the brewery.
They use hop extract for bittering additions at RR, yeah, but not for dry hop. Unless that's changed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #102
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i finally got around to brewing this on sunday

despite the fact that i use whole hops, i ended up with a bunch of sludge that clogged the false bottom/drain tube on my kettle. i guess the 90 min addition just got boiled so long and hard that it dissolved. anyone else have this problem? maybe that's part of the reason RR uses extract for bittering?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #103
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

How did you add the corn sugar? if you just dump it in, it might not desolve in to solution fast enough and sink to the bottom of the kettle where it can start to caramelize with the hops making a mess.

I did not have that happen with this batch but I had it happen before, looked like i had hop rock candy at the bottom of my kettle!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 AM   #104
paradoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2696 View Post
despite the fact that i use whole hops, i ended up with a bunch of sludge that clogged the false bottom/drain tube on my kettle. i guess the 90 min addition just got boiled so long and hard that it dissolved. anyone else have this problem? maybe that's part of the reason RR uses extract for bittering?
I've brewed it both ways, with pellet and whole hops. I always use a large paint-strainer bag to contain my hops during the boil. Makes it much easier to remove the hops without clogging my plate chiller.

Having done it both ways... I think I prefer pellet hops for this brew. The batch I did using mostly whole hops I lost close to 2 gallons total between the hop loss in the boil, and the hop loss from dry hopping. Flavor was about the same, maybe a bit better with the pellet hops but YMMV.

Brewing another batch this week. Last batch was VERY popular at my New Years party

Primary: Pliny the Elder, Smoked Porter
Secondary: Apfelwein
Kegged: Bee Cave Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Apfelwein
Bottled: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Next up: Pliny the Elder, my own IPA, Sake, homemade ginger ale

Old 01-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #105
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
How did you add the corn sugar? if you just dump it in, it might not desolve in to solution fast enough and sink to the bottom of the kettle where it can start to caramelize with the hops making a mess.

I did not have that happen with this batch but I had it happen before, looked like i had hop rock candy at the bottom of my kettle!
i did just dump it in, but i think it dissolved fine. cleaning my kettle after the brew, i didn't notice any hard deposits or caramelization.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #106
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoc View Post
I've brewed it both ways, with pellet and whole hops. I always use a large paint-strainer bag to contain my hops during the boil. Makes it much easier to remove the hops without clogging my plate chiller.

Having done it both ways... I think I prefer pellet hops for this brew. The batch I did using mostly whole hops I lost close to 2 gallons total between the hop loss in the boil, and the hop loss from dry hopping. Flavor was about the same, maybe a bit better with the pellet hops but YMMV.

Brewing another batch this week. Last batch was VERY popular at my New Years party
yea...i may just have to do that. do you compensate for reduced utilization?

i recently got my kettle false bottom and it's worked fantastically until this batch. i guess its just too much - or maybe my boil was too intense

Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #107
BierreNoix
Recipes 

Default DH in keg

I brewed my second batch a couple of weeks ago. Came in with an OG 1.080
with direct fire recirculating mash. Let set on primary for 2 weeks then let go to 2 weeks on first DH addition.
I decided to natural carb with DME 3 weeks then add 2nd DH addition at dispensing in hopes of preserving hop aroma. It dropped off pretty quick last time. It was still good but not the same as when first tapped up.

Has anyone else had luck with this? Any tips?

Regards

Old 01-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #108
paradoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2696 View Post
yea...i may just have to do that. do you compensate for reduced utilization?

i recently got my kettle false bottom and it's worked fantastically until this batch. i guess its just too much - or maybe my boil was too intense
Yes, I adjust my hops for utilization and AA content. Brewed another batch last night... for fun, I poured the contents of my hops bag into a kitchen strainer when I was done... it completely filled the strainer. That is a lot of hops! I did notice that the hops all tended to layer, and water didn't flow through it very well. Try the paint strainer bag... it really does work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierreNoix View Post
Let set on primary for 2 weeks then let go to 2 weeks on first DH addition. I decided to natural carb with DME 3 weeks then add 2nd DH addition at dispensing in hopes of preserving hop aroma. It dropped off pretty quick last time. It was still good but not the same as when first tapped up.

Has anyone else had luck with this? Any tips?
Pliny has a "warning" on their label that this beer is intended to be consumed "fresh". I too have noted a rapid drop off in hop flavor if you let it condition too long before serving. Still a great beer... just not quite the hop bomb it is when young. I've started adding my second dry hop addition to the keg using a Large Spice Ball. Seems to keep the hop aroma going until the keg is gone, in fact as the beer drops in the keg, the aroma gets even a bit more intense. I ferment until the fermentation is nearly complete, add first dry hop addition to the primary for around 10 days, then rack to the keg with the second dry hops in the ball and let it cold condition for around a week.

I may add some oak chips with the first hop addition on this batch. Really like the oak flavor in Blind Pig IPA from Russian River. I think it will complement the flavors in Pliny very well.

Cheers!

Primary: Pliny the Elder, Smoked Porter
Secondary: Apfelwein
Kegged: Bee Cave Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Apfelwein
Bottled: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Next up: Pliny the Elder, my own IPA, Sake, homemade ginger ale

Old 01-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #109
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I am using dry yeast this time around. Think 1.5 Safale 05 is enough or should I do 2 11.5g packets? I consulted Mr Malty but it goes from 1.4 to 2 based on mfr date. I did not think that really mattered with dry yeast?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #110
BierreNoix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoc View Post

Pliny has a "warning" on their label that this beer is intended to be consumed "fresh". I too have noted a rapid drop off in hop flavor if you let it condition too long before serving. Still a great beer... just not quite the hop bomb it is when young. I've started adding my second dry hop addition to the keg using a Large Spice Ball.
Cheers!
Thanks Pardoc for the link to the spice ball.. I will look for that at local asian imports store.

The First batch I let age for one month in addition to the 2 weeks to carb. It a was still a good beer that didn't last long. I may have to back off the burton salts that work for more mortal IPA's... I will drink this time as soon as it is carbinated.

Salut!

Quick Reply