The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pliny the Elder Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #71
BrianTheBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have my batch sitting in the fridge waiting to be brewed. Cant want to get this going. Also have two bottles of PtE from Russian River in the fridge as well. I love this beer.

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #72
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicided1954 View Post
I don't know what the original tastes like, but I must've done something wrong...mine's been in the keg almost a month and still tastes bad. I can't even get through one glass before dumping it. I'm going to take it out of the rotation and let it sit and think about tasting better. It is still green in my opinion.
I don't know what the original tastes like either but I know what a good strong - offcentered - IPA tastes like, eg. Dogfishhead 90 ... This tastes better than DFH90 IMHO, only after 2 weeks in the bottle. My SWMBO, who doesn't typically love strong IPA's really liked this clone. That in itself is highly unusual.. So don't know, I do know that this beer should get better with age, the DFH90 can get better for up to 6 years according to the brewmeister and this has comparable stats. I bet yours will get better with time..

I left mine in the primary for 3 weeks and then dry hopped for about 10 more days. OG 1.075, FG 1.012 ABV 8.24%

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #73
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudy View Post
.I should have measured the OG at 5 gallons before topping off. Live and learn. This was only my fourth batch brewed, and maybe was too ambitious; however, my initial impression of what I bottled is that this could be memorable. P.S. I'm a chemist so I tend to follow directions to a tee.
It will be fine, don't worry! Yeah, measuring the gravity before deciding to dilute or continue to boil down is something you should do. I finally got a Brix meter and I can easily test the gravity this way. I can just take my spoon and dump 1/4 spoonful onto a saucer and let it cool a minute and then scope it with the brix meter. I have a chemistry background also and brewing has taught me to expect the unexpected. I do full boils and judging the evaporation rate or the amount of trub is becoming more a matter of experience/guess and check more than hard science. Yes, if you know these factors you can use formulas but knowing the values like evaporation and amount of trub are more guesswork than precise so that makes the formulas a bit hazy but 'good enough' So there is some art and some science to this brewing thing. The most important thing is to not stress about it and realize that most mistakes are quite drinkable - and that is the essence here no?

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #74
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I don't know what the original tastes like, but I must've done something wrong...mine's been in the keg almost a month and still tastes bad.

I ran into that problem with a Dead Guy clone that I made. It was not what I was expecting to say the least and the majority of it is sitting in the keg with my storage hops. Too much good beer on tap to worry about this one at the moment.

The Hop Hammer clone of PTE that I brewed is very tasty and very strong - almost too strong. I still want to try the original so I have a point of reference and I see that it is available on tap in Denver. The next time that I am in Denver I will make it a point to try it. Montanaandy

Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #75
tmeier45
Recipes 

For anyone interested, I just ordered the kit from MoreBeer.com.
They have a special going for around $20 off. Not bad, especially since they do free shipping if you order $60 or more.

Quick Reply