Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Please help me move to all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #71
Peruvian802
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I moved to AG this year and found this video extremely helpful.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #72
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Yes. Don Osborn is a good source of info. I also watched all of the Brewing TV episodes at Norther Brewer. Most were about home brewing... several were very informational.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #73
Peruvian802
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Another step to get into all grain is BIAB. I just started 3 gallon batches in my 22 qt pot using paint strainers. With a small grain bill it's easy to lift and put in a colander over a pot or bucket.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #74
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 532

The AHA has put out a series of videos based on my equipment and methods. Everything from building the equipment to how to use it.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...brewing-videos

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #75
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I didn't backread, but OP, go read this:

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Old 09-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #76
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ha! Funny that Denny was the last to post right before I linked his page. I didn't get pass the initial post... :-)

Old 09-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #77
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
Ha! Funny that Denny was the last to post right before I linked his page. I didn't get pass the initial post... :-)
What a good guy. He should have a yeast named after him or something.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #78
9Frogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you're a "gadgety" kind of guy, don't do it. Trust me, it will become the death of your checkbook. There is just too much cool stuff!

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her" WC Fields

Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #79
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDrunk View Post
I have plenty of money, and I want to make this as easy on myself as possible. Then your options expand Here's my list:

1 propane burner Good, get the biggest you can afford and can operate because you are soon going to want to do larger batches
1 10 gallon igloo cooler
1 false bottom for said igloo cooler
1 8 gal (or bigger) brew pot with thermometer and ball valve You definitely need a bigger brew kettle for five gallon 60 minute boils you will constantly fight boil-overs. You will not have enough volume if you want to do 90 minute boils, which I would recommend.

My understanding of the process is that I will put the (crushed) grain into a muslin bag and put it into the 10 gal. igloo cooler w/ false bottom.(With the false bottom you do not need the bag. This confuses traditional all-grain and brew-in-a-bag. If you want to use the bag then don't waste money on the false bottom.) Then heat (5?) gallons of water(it depends on your mash thickness. Most guys use 1.25 to 1.5 quarts per pound.) up to 155,This temperature will depend on how fermentable you want your wort to be--higher is less fermentable and lower is more fermentable) dump that water into the cooler,(Once again, this depends on what temp you are shooting for in your mash. with 155 water, if you dump it in with the grist, you will end up mashing somewhere in the 140's. For some styles this will be too low. You need to get a tool to calculate strike temps. I recommend BrewSmith.) put the lid on and wait an hour,(I stir mine every twenty minutes. Some don't.) let some run out and then pour it back into the cooler (do this three times), then let it all run out into my brew pot. (It depends on how you want to sparge or if you want to sparge. If you do fly sparging you will slowly run water into the top of the MLT while slowly pulling wort out below. This should take a long slow time and the top of the grain should be kept covered with water until the sparge is almost complete. If you batch sparge, you would run out your first runnings, add water at about 168 deg to the mash tun, stir, let sit for a few minutes, then vorlauf and run out the sparge water into your kettle.) This is now wort. From there the process is the same as doing extract minus the extract, right? Bring to boil, add hops, wait 45 mins, add more hops, wait 15 mins, cool to 75ish, aerate, pitch, etc, etc. (Hop rates vary greatly depending upon what you are making.) Is there something I am missing, or is it really that easy? Is there anything I need to look for when buying the equipment on my list (max BTU on propane burner, build quality of brew pot, etc)? I apologize because as I said, I know all the information is here in front of me, but it just seems like a lot - But when the guy explained it to me, it seemed pretty simple. Essentially the igloo cooler with the false bottom is a mash lauter tun, which is a mash tun and sparge bucket combined, right? (No, it is a mash tun and lauter tun combined. A sparge bucket would be the bucket used to deliver sparge water to your tun through either batch sparging or fly sparging.) I hear so many terms, I don't even know. Help me out here guys.
Once you get those down then you can start messing with water salts, pH, longer or harder boils, different hopping schedules and techniques, etc.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #80
Clef051
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
I didn't backread, but OP, go read this:

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
I was just going to post this.

I started out with a turkey fryer kit from bass pro with a 7.5 gallon pot. when I went all-grain I bought a 10 gal cooler and a braided hose to make my mash tun.

Quick Reply