Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Please help: Bitter wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
mkade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Please help: Bitter wort?

I am currently making a recipe from Radical Brewing. After a two hour mash (mostly at 151-153, but started high, between 156-158 for first 15 minutes), I tasted the wort and it was actually bitter. I did a starch conversion test with iodophor, and it wasn't done converting. Worried that most enzymes wouldn't have survived after 2 hours of mashing, I had 1.5 lbs of 6-row domestic that I added, hoping it would help with starch conversion. I'm waiting 30 minutes now. Does anyone have any idea why wort would taste bitter? There's no hops or herbs in it. I listed the malts in the wort:

13 lbs biscuit malt
6 lbs pale ale malt
6.5 gallons water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I should also add that I used ph 5.2 buffer in the mash.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Whoa, that's a radical recipe alright.

Most sources suggest 15% biscuit malt max. 65% Biscuit malt seems radical and, to me at least, a bit crazy.

I suspect there's nowhere near enough enzymes in 6lbs of pale ale malt to convert all the starch. Heck, it probably wouldn't even be enough with regular 2 row, let alone pale ale malt which has lower enzymatic power. If it was going to work, a protein rest might have helped, too.

That bitterness I suspect is the toastiness/biscuitness to an extreme level.

Radical is sometimes genius, sometimes crazy, but you've gotta try it it to figure which it is I guess. I give you props for trying it out.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Last edited by mkling; 01-13-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah, looks like the malt quantities are reversed, but that would still be very high.
You know, with that much biscuit flavor, you could toss in some country ham and cheese.....

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
Yeah, looks like the malt quantities are reversed, but that would still be very high.
You know, with that much biscuit flavor, you could toss in some country ham and cheese.....
Yeah I'm not sure. It's definitely the quantities that the book gives, but of course there could have been a mistake.

Quick Reply