The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Please eviserate my recipe :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #21
steelersrbrun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Tiny is a great brew but not all that roasty.....use all your roasted malt at vourlauf....it sounds interesting...can't wait wait to hear how it turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
lwcm
Recipes 

I think I need to pick up another bottle of 6 of Tiny for...you know...research .

Been away from HBT but glad to read all the responses. EXCELLENT point on saving some room in the pot for adjustments on temp. I got a MAJOR upgrade on my brew gear for my birthday and now have a 12.5 gal pot and a Blichmann floor burner so I'm pondering going the AG route with this. Not certain yet.

@steelersbrun: How do you use the roasted grains at vorlauf? I've heard it mentioned before but never researched further.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
steelersrbrun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

@steelersbrun: How do you use the roasted grains at vorlauf? I've heard it mentioned before but never researched further.[/QUOTE]

Simple....just don't add the roasted grain until after your sac rest. Just stir them in just before vorlauf and that's it.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #24
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

My setup is very similar to the OP's. 10 lbs BIAB is about the max I can do in a 4 gallon pot. Leaving 1" of head space it only fits about one quart of water per pound of grain. My efficiency suffers because of it at around 60% even with a dunk sparge. It probably doesn't help that I like a high wheat percentage on my beers either. Steeping the specialty grains is a good idea as well. It will reduce your ferment-ability a little, so if you want a little more sweetness this will work in your favor.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Quick Reply