Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Plate chiller or new immersion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
itsme6582
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You might try mixing your wort around the IC as it cools. Don't go crazy, just some whirlpool action. This should cut down a little on the time.

I turned my 3/8" x 25' into a couterflow and gravity drain. It works great. Not counting the already paid for IC the conversion didn't cost more than 30 bucks. Most expensive part was the hose.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...r_Flow_Chiller

I use the warmed water for cleaning up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWulf View Post
Gravity feeding a plate chiller:

This is what I am planning to do next week... will see how it turns out!
I would NOT use nylon tubing on the hot side. Unless you have some that's specifically rated to be food safe at boiling temperatures. If it's not documented as being 100% food safe at over 212F, don't use it. Better to spend a few more dollars and get silicone tubing for that side. I actually use it for all my wort liquid lines (as well as the sparge water) on brew day.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme6582 View Post
You might try mixing your wort around the IC as it cools. Don't go crazy, just some whirlpool action. This should cut down a little on the time.

I turned my 3/8" x 25' into a couterflow and gravity drain. It works great. Not counting the already paid for IC the conversion didn't cost more than 30 bucks. Most expensive part was the hose.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...r_Flow_Chiller

I use the warmed water for cleaning up.
+1 on this. I use one of these, also home made and its incredible. I go right from my kettle to carboy with no recirc and mid summer I hit about 80-85 on my output. I'm done with 10g in 10-15 minutes with about half flow out of the pump, water on full.

Super easy to clean, I just pump how water through it and blow it out at the end. You can buy these already assembled through amazon, IIRC I saw the price around $50ish.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
TheWulf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I would NOT use nylon tubing on the hot side. Unless you have some that's specifically rated to be food safe at boiling temperatures. If it's not documented as being 100% food safe at over 212F, don't use it. Better to spend a few more dollars and get silicone tubing for that side. I actually use it for all my wort liquid lines (as well as the sparge water) on brew day.
I am indeed using silicone for everything... I hadn't noticed that he was using vinyl.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Chazbeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hello gents

I making double batches now and my immersion chiller in taking too long.

I brew in my back yard and have a pool.

I was thinking of building a large chiller (4feet by 4feet) out of copper pipe an submerge it in my pool.

Any thoughts

Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbeer View Post
Hello gents

I making double batches now and my immersion chiller in taking too long.

I brew in my back yard and have a pool.

I was thinking of building a large chiller (4feet by 4feet) out of copper pipe an submerge it in my pool.

Any thoughts
First thought: You should start your own thread.

Second: Pools work great for chilling. You won't be able to get your beer down to the 70's thought unless your pool is cold. I would pump pool water through the chiller rather than run beer through. Easier to sanitize the outside than the inside.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulgs3 View Post

+1 on this. I use one of these, also home made and its incredible. I go right from my kettle to carboy with no recirc and mid summer I hit about 80-85 on my output. I'm done with 10g in 10-15 minutes with about half flow out of the pump, water on full.

Super easy to clean, I just pump how water through it and blow it out at the end. You can buy these already assembled through amazon, IIRC I saw the price around $50ish.
Another happy countetflow chiller user here! Best thing I have bought for my home brewery so far.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
buzzno
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. Plate chillers sound like they do a great job but I'm doing gravity feed for now and it just seems like I would get a stuck flow with all those small nooks and crannies. I really like counterflow idea and since I have 25' of copper from my IC I am going to convert it and make my own. I soldered up the end pieces yesterday and will finish putting it all together in the next couple days. Hopefully it turns out nice and compact like the other ones I've seen posted here. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Primary1: Sadly nothing right now :-(
Secondary: Cider w/Saison Yeast
Bottled: Wanona's Big Brown Beaver Nutz Ale
Bottled: Founder's Breakfast Stout
Bottled: Cinnamon Clove Cider w/Nottingham
Keg1: 2 Gold IPA
Keg2: Partigyle from the Founders Breakfast Stout

Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
musicguy
Recipes 

Hey this is my first post. I usually just read others advice but I figured I may have some advice my own to give this time! I would go with an Immersion Chiller personally. As someone stated above, Plate Chillers are a pain to have to clean and even after cleaning you cant really tell if you truly got all the trub crud out. I was doing some research about Immersion chillers and I stumbled on this website.

http://jadedbrewing.com/

They have some pretty interesting looking chillers as a whole on their website. I have been brewing for about 2 years and got a standard 3/8"x 25ft circle chiller because that's what the people at the brewstore recommended for a new brewer. It cost I think around 65 bucks. It takes about 35-45 minutes for the wort to get to pitching temps of around 70 degrees. I'm looking to upgrade now because I want to start doing bigger batches and the IC right now would take forever. On there website they say they have a IC called the "Hydra" and it can beat Plate Chiller times and it costs about $50 less than a Therminator. Anyone else heard of this???

http://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-hydra

Again, I don't like plate chillers because I would prefer not taking a risk that there is nothing in the plate chiller to ruin my batches. I am going to do some more looking but if this "hydra" works as well as they say, then I may just get one. Anyway, I hope this helps some!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
buzzno
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey welcome Musicguy and thanks for the input. I'm a music guy myself. Play guitar. What do you play?

After much thought I actually decided that a counterflow chiller would be the best fit for me. I unravelled my 25' 3/8 IC last weekend and built my CFC. I ran a few tests and I think it's going to work pretty good. Should be able to cool 12gal in about 20mins. That's with water so we'll see how it does with wort. Cheers!

Primary1: Sadly nothing right now :-(
Secondary: Cider w/Saison Yeast
Bottled: Wanona's Big Brown Beaver Nutz Ale
Bottled: Founder's Breakfast Stout
Bottled: Cinnamon Clove Cider w/Nottingham
Keg1: 2 Gold IPA
Keg2: Partigyle from the Founders Breakfast Stout

Quick Reply