Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > plastic taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
ol' rummie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default plastic taste

I have just bottle my first batch (BierMuncher Centennial Blonde ) using a new cooler ( Coleman). Noticed a plastic taste to the beer, I didn't notice the taste when I went from primary to secondary?? But I still suspect the cooler.

Questions:

-- Does anyone know of an infection that would cause a plastic taste?
-- Is there a way to condition the cooler, if it is the cooler? (leave in the sun)
-- What are the chances the taste will go away after conditioning in the bottles (wishful thinking)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How long have they been in the bottles?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
ol' rummie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
How long have they been in the bottles?
About an hour now.
I can't smell anything from the cooler, but just read on an other site that the plastic taste could come from pitching my yeast at too high a temp.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

So you're saying that you just bottled and are tasting a sample and it tastes plasticy???

Give it 3 weeks to carb and condition. It should be fine. The beer is simply green...Really, Really, Green....

Read this;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
ol' rummie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You're probably right, (good article too)
I always sample my brew in every step of the process, I just never came across this particular taste. But, I probably am jumping the gun, let you know how it tastes in a month.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

I taste, but NEVER JUDGE, until the process is complete.

It's a natural process from grain to glass, that the the beer has to go through before it's ready, and until it's done things that "seem" wrong at the time, most of the time are nothing.

And if you aren't experienced at what "normal" green beer tastes like then it's hard enough to discern if something is wrong or not....I mean, drinking the hydro sample from a beer you just brewed can be the most vilesest, grainyest tasting thing ever (At least I think so)...but it's amazing what that turns into a couple months down the line.

Quick Reply