Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Planning My First All-Grain BIAB Experience...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
mavandeh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Planning My First All-Grain BIAB Experience...

I'm going for a simple and sessionable English style IPA. The idea is fewer variables means fewer things to screw up since I'm used to brewing extract.

Note: Used BeerSmith, and since I am used to brewing extract, efficiency has never been a concern. I just left it at default, but I'm sure I'll have to toy with it and get to know my setup a bit.

Feedback? Suggestions? Need more information?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
chetduggan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks pretty good. I use Beersmith with my Briab setup and haven't had a prob yet. Good luck and cheers!!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you can get the grains crushed pretty fine (stuck sparges aren't an issue with BIAB, so this is OK to do), I would imagine you'll get closer to 70-75% efficiency. The worst thing about this will be stronger beer, so you should be OK. If you have extra hops available, check your preboil SG, and adjust additions to get the hop profile you want with the extra gravity from the (assumed) higher efficiency.

But you'll only really know with a couple batches' worth of experience, so good luck!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

The only advice I'll give is to watch your temps closely at the mash stage. I haven't had much luck hitting the mash temp based on the suggested water temp. It comes in high. With BIAB you don't have equipment loss since the equipment is already heated. I think there is a checkmark in Beersmith for this.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Change your mash tun temp in BeerSmith to be the same as your initial strike temp. Since you're using heat to bring the temp up, the tun will be the same temp as the water that is inside it. This will lower your strike temp by a degree or two and help you keep from overshooting the desired temp for the first rest.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
mavandeh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBeanJ View Post
Change your mash tun temp in BeerSmith to be the same as your initial strike temp. Since you're using heat to bring the temp up, the tun will be the same temp as the water that is inside it. This will lower your strike temp by a degree or two and help you keep from overshooting the desired temp for the first rest.
With regard to your comment at the end about my first rest, I'm not planning on doing a step mash, just going straight for saccharification. Should I change my plan? How will my beer benefit? Just better efficiency?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Yes, my advice still applies. See the strike temp of 157.5°? BS is calculating that based on water volume, grain volume and temp, and tun temp. For both grain and tun temp, your settings show 72, and BS is using this info to come up with the 157.5 strike temp in order to end up at 152 after dough-in. However, your tun will not be 72 at dough-in, it'll be whatever the water temp is, which should be about 155.

If you go into the mash settings in BS and change the tun temp from 72 to 155, you will see the strike temp drop a degree or two. Then, change your tun temp again to match the new strike temp exactly so the two temps are same-same. My experience with similar size grain bills is that the strike temp should be about 155.0-156. Overshooting by 2 degrees may not seem like much, but it will make a difference in the amount of fermentable/unfermentable sugars that get converted, and therefore FG, so it pays to try to get as close as possible to your intended mash temp. Making this easy to overlook setting correct will help with that.

Also, I see in your brew steps that there is a step for mash out at 168. Lot's of BIAB'ers skip this, but I would suggest that you do it. I firmly believe that it helps improve efficiency. For most recipes, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to hit 80% mash efficiency every time if you do the mash out.

One more thing: prior to dough-in, as you approach strike temp, make sure you stir the mash water well while it's heating to keep the temps even throughout. It's easy to be several degrees warmer near the bottom of the BK than what your thermo is reading near the top. Stirring well will help to minimize temp stratification so you get accurate temp readings. I usually dial the flame back a little when I get within a few degrees of strike temp so I have better control of how fast the temp is rising.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Buna_Bere
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For a full volume no sparge biab I'd go with 70% efficiency into the boiler, if you wanna be conservative figure 65%. Keep in mind the more accurately you weigh your grain, measure your preboil volume, and take your preboil gravity reading, the better your efficiency estimations for future batches will be.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
mavandeh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you! I will use all of this info on brew day. Cheers!!!

-Mark

Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Keep in mind you won't denature enzymes in the matter of a couple of minutes. I ALWAYS dough in high on purpose, then stir down to temp. this is way easier than frantically heating boiling water and adding it when you are too low, only to still be below your temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply