Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > pitching when package is still flat?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2006, 02:38 AM   #11
Beer Snob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemonkey
White labs says you don't need a starter up to I think 1.070. I've had really good luck with it without a starter. Wyeast is good too, I just don't like waiting for the pack to swell.
I just so happen to have vials sitting right in front of me... you are absolutly correct. It says up to 1.070. What is your lag time without a starter? Does not seem like a lot of yeast in one of these things

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #12
Kevlar
Recipes 

I much prefer Whitelabs over Wyeast. I don't use starters with WL and always get great results. One of the few times I used that smack pack I did the same thing you did and had no activity after 2 days so I pitched an old tube WL and had bubbles in about 4 hours.

Hope for the best, but you may want to keep that backup pack handy

Some men learn by reading, and some men learn by watching. But some men just gotta pee on the electric fence themselves.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:39 AM   #13
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
This question comes up all the time. The instructions on the package say it all:
Yeah, that's true, but I've never had a smack-pack take more than about 5 hours to swell to near-bursting. I'm sure that the first time I assume it will swell that quickly, it won't and I'd find myself in a pickle.

-walker

Old 07-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #14
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
I just so happen to have vials sitting right in front of me... you are absolutly correct. It says up to 1.070. What is your lag time without a starter? Does not seem like a lot of yeast in one of these things
I usually brew in the evening and it's going good the next morning, so maybe 6 hours? I'm not exactly sure. I've seen it start in as little as 3. The cell count is pretty high in those vials.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #15
perry
Recipes 

Ya!!! I now have bubblage! Only thirty-six hours after pitching! Everything smells normal, too. My system is pretty much sealed from the outside air from the boil to the fermenter, so I wasn't super worried about infection (famous last words).

However, I will never, ever start my mash again before signs of swelling!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

jp

Old 07-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Nice thing about smack packs, you can hit them days before brewing and know you have a good pack and if you get delayed, just tuck them in the fridge.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #17
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemonkey
White labs says you don't need a starter up to I think 1.070. I've had really good luck with it without a starter. Wyeast is good too, I just don't like waiting for the pack to swell.
Well if you think about it you really don't need the vial at all. Just let nature take its course and it will ferment out on its own. If you want to make the best beer you are capeable of then you should make a starter of the right size for your batch and type of beer.
After all...........you want to make the best beer possible, don't you?

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 07-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #18
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I personally don't think making a starter improves a beer at all - it just makes it start faster and reduces the chances of infection. If I'm making a big beer I always make a starter. If not, I usually don't.

Quick Reply