Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pitch on top of yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
skinfiddler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Pitch on top of yeast cake

While I was mashing today, I happened to think that I had 6g in the primary that could be transferred. Is it as simple as transferring cooled wort on to the yeast bed?

I have not done that yet, but might be doing so here in about an hour.

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
~Mark Twain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

yup..and I shake it around a little bit to wake everything up

Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From what I hear, make sure you are ready for a blowoff.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
skinfiddler

Recipes 

Thanks for the quick replies!!!!!!

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
~Mark Twain

Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, that's all there is to it.

I typically don't use the *entire* cake from a previous brew. You can use this to tell you how much slurry you need.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i do it all the time and it rules

Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Yeah you could, though it is recommended that you put a darker beer onto the yeast cake than the one before, not the other way around...just be sure to use a blowoff tube, because it will be active....

Some people recommend scooping out half of the yeast rather than pitching onto a whole cake. To do that sanitize a spoon...If you want to save it, you can sanitize a mason jar... and then wash and store that yeast...

If your previous batch was darker than what you are doing you could do a quick yeast wash...(you would need boilled and cooled, or sterile jugged, water- you want to make sure the water is sanitized). You could pour in about a half gallon of the sterile water into your fermenter swirl it a bit, let it settle for about 20 minutes, then slowly pour off the top water/left over beer, leaving behind the yeast and sediment (though some of the sediment/trub will be rinsed away)...Then do it again with the other half gallon of water. That way you will getting rid of the majority of the remnants of the previous brew.

It's not as perfect as doing a "formal" yeast wash, but it will do if you want to pitch a lighter beer on a darker yeastcake, the same day.

Good luck!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

The color of the previous batch is much less important then the IBU's and OG of the beer being racked off of the cake.

Anything much over 1.055 and the yeast may be overstressed and cause undesired results - although I have pitched on cakes from beers with much higher gravities than this and the yeast seemed to perform just fine. Anything over 50 IBU or so can leave the cells covered in hop resins that will carry over to the beer being pitched on the cake.

Color would only be a factor if you left something like 1 gallon of Stout behind then racked a Blonde Ale on top of it. Obviously that's going to have an impact on the color of the beer. Otherwise, the amount of beer normally left after racking to secondary is minimal and not enough to change the color or flavor of the beer significantly.

Last edited by ohiobrewtus; 07-24-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
Color would only be a factor if you left something like 1 gallon of Stout behind then racked a Blonde Ale on top of it. Obviously that's going to have an impact on the color of the beer. Otherwise, the amount of beer normally left after racking to secondary is minimal and not enough to change the color or flavor of the beer significantly.

When I was using color refrences, I was more referring to strong flavors....if you are brewing a blonde you don't want the strong flavors of let's say a stout coming through by pitching the blonde on the stout...most books I've noticed just simplify this by saying don't pitch "dark on top of light"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
When I was using color refrences, I was more referring to strong flavors....if you are brewing a blonde you don't want the strong flavors of let's say a stout coming through by pitching the blonde on the stout...most books I've noticed just simplify this by saying don't pitch "dark on top of light"
I understood as much, but wanted to make sure that OP knew that there were factors other than color that needed to be considered when re-pitching.

Quick Reply