Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pitch one pack of yeast to starter or two?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Pitch one pack of yeast to starter or two?

I am brewing 10 gal of EdWorts most excellent Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale tomorrow, so I picked up the goodies at my LHBS today, including 2 packs of Notty. I am fixing my starter tonight and started thinking..... since I am making a starter, should I just pitch one pack and rely on their reproduction capabilities and save the other? Or pitch both packets into the starter? I am doing 500ml of Pale DME in a 1000ml flask. Anyone have any suggestions?

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you're using Notty, don't make a starter.

Two packs for 10 gallons, properly rehydrated.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yup, no starter for dry yeasts.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

OK, new question. What do you do with 500ml of yeast starter without yeast? Stuff tastes like CRAP, so as a warm beverage is out.... Wait a minute. Let me see if the dog likes it....

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-10-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
westerntrout
Recipes 

with how active nott is it might be fun to see someone make a big starter. might have to register it with the BATF though

Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 585 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 218

I've had luck with pitching one packet of Notty in a little experiment a while back. It turned out fine (properly hydrate).

On the other hand, a very recent batch of bitters I pitched one hydrated packet of Safale-04 and (for whatever reason) ended up with autolysis that converted into some sort of funky, infectious sulfur brew.

For safety sake, hydrate both packets and pitch...the harvest the abundant yeast that will come from both fermenters. You'll have enough to pitch your next 20 batches.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply