Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pine Nuts in a beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
mattymatumbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pine Nuts in a beer?

I'm thinking of putting pine nuts in my moose drool clone. I assume the best way to go about this is the dry hop method, any ideas? How much should I use, should I break them up, etc...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Rockape66
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Pine nuts have alot of oil in them, and this will kill the head of your beer. There are ways to remove the oils. Look for posts about making beers with pecans to get some ideas.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I don't know if this would be something that would happen if you used them in beer but some people get a metallic taste in their mouth from eating pine nuts (my wife is one of them). It accumulates over time so if you just have one now & then, it may never matter. Just something to think about...

From Wikipedia:
Risks of eating pine nuts

A small minority of pine nuts cultivated in China can cause taste disturbances, lasting between a few days to a few weeks after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001.[11] Some publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine mouth".

Old 11-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2676 Times on 2080 Posts
Likes Given: 328

I dont think you could get a significant pinenut flavor in beer... its too subtle. I feel only the astringent bitterness would transfer. Also, pinenuts are really expensive.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
mattymatumbo
Recipes 

The place up the street from me is local only, the pine nuts are from the Rockies. The problems with the head, astringent, and bitterness all sound like deterrents. Thanks guys.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You can add lecithin to deal with the oils. It works very well. I did some experimental beers that had TABLESPOONS of oil added to the mash. I added lecithin (an emulsifier) and had no issues with loss of head.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
I don't know if this would be something that would happen if you used them in beer but some people get a metallic taste in their mouth from eating pine nuts (my wife is one of them). It accumulates over time so if you just have one now & then, it may never matter. Just something to think about...

From Wikipedia:
Risks of eating pine nuts

A small minority of pine nuts cultivated in China can cause taste disturbances, lasting between a few days to a few weeks after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001.[11] Some publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine mouth".
I had a friend that had this exact thing happen to her. She wasn't sure what was wrong and ended up going to the doctor. After that horror story I never could muster up the courage to even try them.

Could you imagine not being able to taste beer for a WHOLE WEEK!?

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Old 11-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
mattymatumbo
Recipes 

The pine nut thing with loss of taste sounds like a good dieting technique. I'll get the plans started to market this haha.

Quick Reply