Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pilsner malt question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Dok
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Pilsner malt question

Am brewing a Belgian blonde this weekend. I have a sack of Breiss pilsner malt I will be using as a base malt along with some aromatic and a little wheat malt. The color of the Breiss is 1.2 compared to a pilsner malt like Dingemann's which is 1.9. Being that this is a North American malt what would you all recommend doing to my recipe o compensate for the difference in color? Or does it matter?

72% pils
14% sugar
9% wheat
4.5% aromatic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For a Belgian Blond, I'm sure Belgian pilsner is preferred but I'm sure the domestic pilsner will be fine. It might not have as strong of a malt flavor. I would just add a bit more aromatic, it will help with the malt flavor and keep the color correct. I would also eliminate or lower the amount of sugar and use more Pilsner malt, which will increase flavor as well. Just mash real low like 148 to keep it dry.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Dok
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems
For a Belgian Blond, I'm sure Belgian pilsner is preferred but I'm sure the domestic pilsner will be fine. It might not have as strong of a malt flavor. I would just add a bit more aromatic, it will help with the malt flavor and keep the color correct. I would also eliminate or lower the amount of sugar and use more Pilsner malt, which will increase flavor as well. Just mash real low like 148 to keep it dry.
That is a good point on the sugar. I am doing a step infusion mash so I can extend my beta rest and maybe it will dry up l a little more that way.

Quick Reply