Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pilsener Malt for an APA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
appraiserdude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pilsener Malt for an APA

I need some advice please. I have quite a bit of Pilsener malt that needs to be used & was wondering if anyone had substituted Pilsener for Pale or Morris Otter in an APA style ale? If so, is there anything different I should do or do they substitute 'one for one'? Thanks so much for any help,

GR

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I've not used Pilsner malt before but I know others have, with good success. The only advice I've seen quoted is to boil for 90 minutes rather than 60, to ensure that DMS is boiled off. Other than that, I think it'd make for a good beer. Good luck with it - let us know how you get on.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by appraiserdude
I need some advice please. I have quite a bit of Pilsener malt that needs to be used & was wondering if anyone had substituted Pilsener for Pale or Morris Otter in an APA style ale? If so, is there anything different I should do or do they substitute 'one for one'? Thanks so much for any help,

GR
I've used pils malt for an IPA often. It's a good base malt that can be used to brew a lot of good beers. I'm going to be using some Marris Otter to make some English and Scottish ales. I have been told that the marris definately has a unique taste that would be different in a beer. For an APA the pils would work great.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have used it, but as many here recommend, do a 90 minute rolling boil to minimize DMS (creamed corn flavor).

Old 04-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
appraiserdude
Recipes 

Thank you all so much; I'll let you know how it turns out. Have a great weekend and cheers!

Quick Reply