Pillow case BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
Can anyone make an astute argument as to whether or not I can use a pillowcase for a BIAB.

I was doing the laundry and thought..... Ah, nevermind.....

Hahaha !! Awesome! Sounds like something I'd think up .. Can't wait to hear the verdict - my guess is that it would work, but would be fairly slow to drain... You certainly wouldn't have any grain pieces in your wort though !

I though about it before so I say go for it.

I just compared the voile fabric I use to my pillow case and the weave is tighter on the pillow case. Also the pillowcase doesn't have any stretch to it.

I think the way to check it out would be to put some water in the pillow case and see how long it takes to drain out.

I would say it could work well if you used cloth you were comfortable with. I imagine cotton would work well, but I would advise avoiding colored cloth in case it leached into the wort.

There is a great coffee shop near me(greencastle coffee roasters) that sells their burlap coffee bags for a buck a bag, I considered trying them for BIAB but after a fiasco involving brew in a bag I went to a mash tun and false bottom.

Next we will be using the washing machine to mash. Only one way to find out.

Post pictures
You know.... If some of the components in a washing machine were rated for +180F, I would argue that the machine would make a wonderful masher.

build a collar to hold the bag, tied the rope to the collar so I could suspend bag and drain off wort. The rope was over a beam in my garage. First the rope brought down some dust that may have gone into the pot. next the collar let go of the bag=grain in the wort. then rope broke. top it off with terrible efficiency and frozen hoses connected to my chiller and it was not a fun brewday.

Back