The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > pH and temperature confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
elvestinkle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default pH and temperature confusion

OK, so I have been reading about pH, and I thought I had a handle on it. My understanding was that when you checked the pH of your mash, it should be near 5.2. I use colorpHast type strips, that go from 4.8 to 6.4 or so, and dunk 'em in the mash after mixing my brewing salts.

Then I got wind that I should be checking my pH at room temperature. And now I'm reading conflicting things, where some folks say 5.2ish is right at mash temp (Palmer, Gordon, Papazian), and others say 5.2ish is right at room temp (a whole bunch of people on the Internets). I know that for homebrewing purposes, the whole range will be probably fine, but I'm trying to get a handle on process here. Given that the pH difference between mash temp and room temp is about 0.35 (with room temp being the higher), which one is the one to target for 5.2?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always shoot for 5.4-5.7 at room temp ( per the EZ Water Calculator spreadsheet ). The 5.2 I would assume be for mash temp range.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The strips tend to under-report the true pH, so you do want to aim higher with the reading. 5.4 to 5.7 should get you in the right range.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Quick Reply