Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > pH Help. Lactic Acid.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Bonestar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pH Help. Lactic Acid.

My local water runs in the 7'ns for pH. Neutral. Using Lactic Acid... does anyone have any methods for lowering the mash pH to 5.2 for a 5 gallon batch? This will be my first run at All Grain.

What is the best way to go about lowering the pH?
Do I adjust the HLT or the Mash?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Adjust the mash, but the grains will alter the pH, the darker the more acidic they are, the lighter the less acidic, if u use latic acid you lower the Residual Alkalinity significantly, until you learn about the brewing water I would not mess with lactic acid, I've never used the stuff but the people who make Star San make a 5.2pH buffer, which in theory "locks" your mash pH in at 5.2, like I said I've never used it but I've heard both that it works and that it doesn't. Its like 10 bucks. I thought about getting some but I don't notice a big pH problem. I use the chalk/iodine startch test and my mash seems to convert normally so I don't think my pH is off.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
erikhild59
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I use the 5.2 in the mash along with a tsp of gypsum, then I treat my sparge water with 1 to 1.5 tbsp lactic acid, depending on the recipe. Since I adopted this method , my beer improved a lot, no off flavors . I think mostly from the alkaline sparge water causing astringency.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Get a water report. Download EZ water. Use 1-2% acid malt. 5.2 stabilizer, from what I've heard, is a buffer, and won't lower your mash ph.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4627 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
Get a water report. Download EZ water. Use 1-2% acid malt. 5.2 stabilizer, from what I've heard, is a buffer, and won't lower your mash ph.
Right. Do NOT use the 5.2 stabilizer without knowing what's in your water make up. (And even then, don't use it). I bought some, and used it twice and all it did was give my beers a bit of a salty flavor and didn't fix the mash pH anyway!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Check the Brew science forum. Sticky on brew water science. Its just a mind boggling beginning without a report. Cheers

Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Right. Do NOT use the 5.2 stabilizer without knowing what's in your water make up. (And even then, don't use it). I bought some, and used it twice and all it did was give my beers a bit of a salty flavor and didn't fix the mash pH anyway!
Ditto. I bought some and also used it twice with my first two lagers. Both times, I had a noticeable off flavor in the beer. After aging for about 9 months, the off flavor had diminished, but was still there. After 2 brews, I stopped using it and the off flavor went away, but I did have to use some lactid acid to lower the mash pH.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Lactic acid can be a tricky thing to use, especially in the mash, but knowing what ph your mash will settle in at naturally will help determine what treatment(if any)you may need.for example;a mash made up of 11 lbs two row pale and one pound crystal 60L at 1lb/1.25qt with my water source will settle in at a ph of 5.5.To drop the ph .3, I would use about 3-4oz. of acid malt which is about 2.5% of the total grist(1% of grist bill per .1 drop in ph).To determine what ph your mash will be, make a mini mash for your yeast starter, 1 lb of base grain and 1.5oz of crystal 60 in 1.25+/- qts of water(scaled down from previous grist bill).Mash at desired temp and test ph after 15 min.At this point you could even make scaled down salt additions(i.e gypsum)to see if those would help.Trust me, it's better for your sanity to screw up a yeast starter than to screw up a 5 gal batch!!!Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Blindly throwing crap into your mash or water is a recipe for disaster. If you want to control mash pH, step one is to get a pH meter. Step two is to check out the water chemistry primer sticky in the brew science forum.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
jyda
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Ryan
Blindly throwing crap into your mash or water is a recipe for disaster. If you want to control mash pH, step one is to get a pH meter. Step two is to check out the water chemistry primer sticky in the brew science forum.
+1.

Though I would say step one is to get a pH meter, step two is to read the pH calibration sticky, step 3 the water chemistry primer sticky.

Quick Reply