Perpetual NY/NJ/CT bulk grain thread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could go for some. And I'll post on a couple other forums as well as long as no one minds.

I've used like 8 ounces of honey malt so far out of like 80 lbs I bought lol. Still had some left over and I only do a 3 gal batch every other week max. Gonna be good for a while.

Are you drunk 24/7? Jeebus, that's lot of brewing!

We were so focused on filling out our pantry with specialty malts and adjuncts that we forgot to check our base malt inventory! But maybe we don't need it... today we were talking about brewing a Count Chocula-inspired ale using chocolate malt as a base and flaked maize to kick up the octane.

I just found this thread and am interested in getting in on a group buy. NY/NJ/CT is a large area -- where does it typically get delivered, and when is the next buy?
Thanks!

I just found this thread and am interested in getting in on a group buy. NY/NJ/CT is a large area -- where does it typically get delivered, and when is the next buy?
Thanks!

TBD, nothing is really "typical" with these buys as it is kind of in its infancy, stay tuned for details.

The last one was maybe 6 weeks ago w/ pick up in Brooklyn. Next one ???.

Big thanks to Pickled Herring for mailing me the Vienna grain! I really appreciate your efforts to do this for me!

For anyone that is looking for 50lb sacks of grain before another big group buy happens, the brewers apprentice has really improved their bulk grain supplies along with specialties. For example a 50lb sack of briess 2 row is 42 bucks and while I was there I saw 50lb sacks of marris otter also.
I must give them some good props as I've found their pricing overall to be very competitive and are in lovely freehold NJ.

Big thanks to Pickled Herring for mailing me the Vienna grain! I really appreciate your efforts to do this for me!

For anyone that is looking for 50lb sacks of grain before another big group buy happens, the brewers apprentice has really improved their bulk grain supplies along with specialties. For example a 50lb sack of briess 2 row is 42 bucks and while I was there I saw 50lb sacks of marris otter also.
I must give them some good props as I've found their pricing overall to be very competitive and are in lovely freehold NJ.
you're 100% correct on the pricing of the 50# bags at BrewApp. $42 plus tax. I think the Marris was maybe $10-20 more. the owner is a decent guy too. actually, their entire staff are very helpful. a lot of what they carry is easy to find online, but you won't have to pay shipping, so it pays to buy local. They can get very very busy on the weekends, so best to pop in mid-week.

Perhaps we should start a tally to see if there's enough people ready to order to get one in the works-

JoMarky- 3 bags

Perhaps we should start a tally to see if there's enough people ready to order to get one in the works-

JoMarky- 3 bags

New to this group-buy concept. Is this for a specific grain or is it a multiple grain order? I'd definitely be up for a bag of MO.

I dont mind keeping track of who wants what, how many, prices,etc.
but i dont have access to a loading dock so someone else would have to cover that.

I dont mind keeping track of who wants what, how many, prices,etc.
but i dont have access to a loading dock so someone else would have to cover that.

I second your self nomination...the job is yours pending public outcry. Thanks!
Depending on the price per bag, put me down for 1 50# of Maris Otter. Last go-round is was in the $40 range. If Golden Promise is an option and is in the same price range, i'd prefer that instead.

So...is this officially off and running?

New to this group-buy concept. Is this for a specific grain or is it a multiple grain order? I'd definitely be up for a bag of MO.

You can get whatever you want. I believe everything comes in either 50lb or 55lb sacks depending on if its american, british, or european. Last time I bought maris otter it was about 70cents a pound and then generally its about 3 dollars shipping per sack. We use north country malt:
http://www.northcountrymalt.com/index.html

Their website has a full catalog.

I forget who got us the use of the loading dock/storage facility 2 group buys ago, but it was directly on Rte 17 in north jersey. Rommel, I remember you put it all together, do you remember who arranged that delivery point for us?

fineexampl, I think I remember golden promise being available, I think one of the companies that offers maris otter also offers the golden promise, check the catalog.

You can get whatever you want. I believe everything comes in either 50lb or 55lb sacks depending on if its american, british, or european. Last time I bought maris otter it was about 70cents a pound and then generally its about 3 dollars shipping per sack. We use north country malt:
http://www.northcountrymalt.com/index.html

Their website has a full catalog.

I forget who got us the use of the loading dock/storage facility 2 group buys ago, but it was directly on Rte 17 in north jersey. Rommel, I remember you put it all together, do you remember who arranged that delivery point for us?

fineexampl, I think I remember golden promise being available, I think one of the companies that offers maris otter also offers the golden promise, check the catalog.
Just saw it in the catalog. Price is right in the $40 range. I'm in. :) Yay Golden Promise! I'll probably grab StarSan too. My LHBS is usually out of stock.

Argh, I'll probably have to wait until the next one after this. I would need to buy a crusher and some storage containers too. Too many home improvements to fund right now...

Argh, I'll probably have to wait until the next one after this. I would need to buy a crusher and some storage containers too. Too many home improvements to fund right now...
i think you can order it crushed already, mate. check the list. and you can get cheap rubbermaid containers or similar at Walmart for a few bucks. It could probably fit under a bed. :)

these are the people who showed interest so far. we need about 42 i think for a full pallet i think. If we get the full pallet, delivery/shipping/fees usually works out to $3-4 per sack. Brands/Prices are listed on the website.

very rough list so far:
Josh: 2-3 2row
Airborneguy: 1+
Rommelmagic: 1+
Pickngrin: 1+
Bkov: 1-2
Fl93: 1-2
Jomarky: 3
Fineexampl: 1 MO
IanP: 1 MO
Total: 12-15 so far

these are the people who showed interest so far. we need about 42 i think for a full pallet i think. If we get the full pallet, delivery/shipping/fees usually works out to $3-4 per sack. Brands/Prices are listed on the website.

very rough list so far:
Josh: 2-3 2row
Airborneguy: 1+
Rommelmagic: 1+
Pickngrin: 1+
Bkov: 1-2
Fl93: 1-2
Jomarky: 3
Fineexampl: 1 Golden Promise
IanP: 1 MO
Total: 12-15 so far
fixed that for ya. :)

Do you guys maybe want to start a new thread for the new buy and just post a link here? Might be easier to distinguish between the previous and the new one, to avoid confusion...

For now, I'm down for 1 bag of Maris Otter, but I might add more as we get closer, especially if we are only a few bags short of a pallet. My immediate thanks to bkov for keeping track of everything.

Cool deal, thanks Bkov. I know I'll be in for at least one sack. I gotta check to see if I want more. P/U location is only slightly important

Yup, same groupbuy as the CL post. figured the more sacks ordered, the cheaper it is for everyone. and since everyone pays before the the order is offically placed, it doesnt matter if there not HBT members

Be careful with that. If I was placing the order, I wouldn't want to risk people outside of this forum. Secondly, we wouldn't want the order held up because of some non-paying, unidentified people.

Be careful with that. If I was placing the order, I wouldn't want to risk people outside of this forum. Secondly, we wouldn't want the order held up because of some non-paying, unidentified people.
i tend to agree there.

oh well, off to the other thread...

Back