Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Percentage of Rice Hulls for Wheat grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Default Percentage of Rice Hulls for Wheat grain

I want to convert a DME apricot wheat recipe that is the wifeys favorite to AG. The guy where I've purchased the DME kit from in the past thought:

4# 2 row
6# Wheat
#1 crystal
2# Hulls

Found another Apricot wheat recipe on promash where they were:

5# 2 row
4# wheat (no hulls in the recipe file )

Is there a percentage of Rice/Oat Hulls to # of wheat? The 2# from my LHBS I think he just wants to sell more hulls. My Beligum Wit I thought used .5# hulls but don't have the info near me now... 25% to # of wheat sounds like it'd be a nice ratio but I don't want a stuck mash. Also, curious from other AG guys who've done wheat brews; is the wheat bill usually higher, or 2 row? These two have it bass-ackwards.

Last edited by DesertBrew; 10-22-2005 at 04:33 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

The recipes I've seen talk about 2 quarts of hulls for 6 lbs of wheat. Don't know how that would translate into weight.

You can go all the way up to 90% wheat, but it ain't easy. 50-65% wheat seems the most common rates.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just modify the recipe for 50% base malt and 50% wheat, and you won't have to worry about a stuck mash using that ratio.

I saw that ratio used by the brewmaster at Boulevard Brewing Co., who makes an AWESOME american wheat.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
Just modify the recipe for 50% base malt and 50% wheat, and you won't have to worry about a stuck mash using that ratio.

I saw that ratio used by the brewmaster at Boulevard Brewing Co., who makes an AWESOME american wheat.
Cool - I'll give that a go. I might do a normal Hefe next week instead of the IPA I had planned so I can do a pitch onto this slurry. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply