The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pellicle after racking to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
djbradle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas
Man!! I seriously filled my airlocks to the fill line with GIN and placed the tops on! Sneaky B*&%#$#$! It doesn't taste cidery in the least. Tastes like a complex malty beer with mild bitterness. It's great. That's what I don't understand. I think I probably just caught it that early. I'm going to bottle tonight and pray for the best. Hopefully the tote catches any boomers.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
djbradle
Recipes 

Quote:

I totally agree.

My sanitation process involves soaking everything in starsan for the recommended time (swirl it around in the carboy for a couple minutes, tip it, rack directly onto the foam). Pull starsan solution through my autosiphon and tubing. Dip the airlock and stopper in starsan while taking hydrometer readings, shake and replace.
Sounds sani fresh to me. Too much fussing (ie. secondary, bung removal, gravity samples, etc.) can lead to an infection easily as well as a hungry drosophila melanogaster.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Sounds sani fresh to me. Too much fussing (ie. secondary, bung removal, gravity samples, etc.) can lead to an infection easily as well as a hungry drosophila melanogaster.
The pains of being a very new homebrewer. I would definitely admit that this is very true of my experience with this beer. I took probably 5 gravity readings of this particular beer over 2 and a half weeks, so it doesn't surprise me so much.

I am going to change my ways. I just wanted to hear a few people say that they'd at least had success bottling after getting a little pellicle and give me some encouragement. I'm sure there are many who had quite different experiences, so I guess I just have to hope.

Hip... hip hope... wait...

Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Maybe you have a nice sour going on. If so, move the carboy to a closet & forget about it for a few months (except to fill the airlock). After then take a sample taste every month or two until you think it tastes right.

Anything that touches this beer should not be used on your other beers.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Bottled last night. Tastes good still, but it now does have a slight cider smell to it. Fruit flies from hell.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
djbradle
Recipes 

Quote:
Bottled last night. Tastes good still, but it now does have a slight cider smell to it. Fruit flies from hell.
Looks like you caught it in time before it became unpalatable salad dressing.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I thought I was getting one.. Still not sure if I am or not. I swirled the carboy a bit and figured it was co2 coming out of solution as the dry hops were dropping to the bottom. I didn't have any white mess, or any large oil slick junk.. But I did have a few of the small bubbles that looked rather.. "sick" like.

They just showed up yesterday I think, been on the hops or a week and no sign or any issues before I racked it to secondary to dry hop and clean it up. I tossed another ounce of hops on it, and I'm gonna keg it middle of the week. The beer tastes great, like it did last week when I checked the gravity when I racked it. No change in gravity as well.

I say let it sit and carb and see how it is.. I bet you'll be fine by the time it's all gone.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Looks like you caught it in time before it became unpalatable salad dressing.
Let's hope. Any suggestions as to when to start sampling them? Carb 2-3 weeks then open one every week or every few days?

Quick Reply