Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Patersbier

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Killervector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Posts: 45
Default Patersbier

What temp should I ferment at? Not really sure how high to go.. I'm thinking ambient room temp at about 74? Using Wyeast 3787 Trappist. Very simple malt bill. 10 gallons

20 LB Pilsner Malt
Tradition for bittering
Saaz for flavoring

Thanks!

__________________
Killervector is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
indigi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 438
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I'd start it out under 70* - 67-68* would be fine - then after fermentation takes off, start letting it warm up by a couple degrees every day.

__________________
indigi is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Killervector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Posts: 45
Default

Thanks for the tip!

__________________
Killervector is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
flabyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dover, MN
Posts: 948
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

How did this turnout? I am looking to make this kit for my first AG batch. Its either this or the the Caribbou Slobber from NB. Did you mash at 149?? Anything different have to be done with the boil with Pilsner malts? Thought I read somewhere that they need a longer boil.

On a side note. Brewing TV from Northern Brewer had an episode where they brewed this kit with open fermentation. No lid on top of the bucket for 3 days

__________________
flabyboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
El_Exorcisto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Herkimer, NY
Posts: 417
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I mashed my Patersbier/Enkel at 150* and am fermenting at 74*. Pils malt usually wants a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS. I did:

5 lbs 2-row
2 lbs toasted 2-row
1/2 lb honey

60 minute 1/2 oz Cascade
15 minute 1/2 oz Cascade
Zest of two limes at flameout

Fermenting on top of Ommegang's house yeast

As for open fermentation, there was a study done in German Hefe breweries that found ester production to be much higher with open fermentation, and when the wort was aerated _less_. I can't find the study for the life of me, but leaving the lid off definitely has it's merits. My basement infects every topless bucket with mold, so I need to keep lids on or suffer the wrath.

__________________
El_Exorcisto is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
yellowthere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 138
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Exorcisto View Post
I mashed my Patersbier/Enkel at 150* and am fermenting at 74*. Pils malt usually wants a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS. I did:

5 lbs 2-row
2 lbs toasted 2-row
1/2 lb honey

60 minute 1/2 oz Cascade
15 minute 1/2 oz Cascade
Zest of two limes at flameout

Fermenting on top of Ommegang's house yeast

As for open fermentation, there was a study done in German Hefe breweries that found ester production to be much higher with open fermentation, and when the wort was aerated _less_. I can't find the study for the life of me, but leaving the lid off definitely has it's merits. My basement infects every topless bucket with mold, so I need to keep lids on or suffer the wrath.
That is a completely different beer. Cascades? Sounds interesting though.

I did NB's patersbier, but accidently used chimay yeast. It was very good. really smooth, a little fruity, not at all boring, like I feared. I'm planning on doing this again this weekend with the correct yeast, which should make it less fruity.
__________________
yellowthere is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
flabyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dover, MN
Posts: 948
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowthere View Post
That is a completely different beer. Cascades? Sounds interesting though.

I did NB's patersbier, but accidently used chimay yeast. It was very good. really smooth, a little fruity, not at all boring, like I feared. I'm planning on doing this again this weekend with the correct yeast, which should make it less fruity.

Are you going to use the Trappist yeast that they recommend
__________________
flabyboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
yellowthere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 138
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabyboy View Post
Are you going to use the Trappist yeast that they recommend
Yeah, the 3787 Wyeast. I've never used it before, but heard really good things about in an a can you brew it episode.
__________________
yellowthere is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
flabyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dover, MN
Posts: 948
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

nice. can't decide between this and the caribbou slobber for my first AG batch

__________________
flabyboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
yellowthere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 138
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Choosing a low gravity for your first AG makes things easier that's for sure. My first AG was a 2hearted clone, which did not go great. Drinking a growler of dead guy during the brew did not help though....

__________________
yellowthere is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
northern brewer all grain kit - patersbier nootay All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 05-03-2010 09:55 PM
NB Patersbier calls for a very low mash temp de_ronde All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 04-19-2009 05:32 PM
Patersbier - Low FG? freyguy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 06-30-2008 03:14 PM