Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > partigyle, getting started

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
nathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default partigyle, getting started

I'm doing a big ass Hoppy Valley Double IPA again soon. Last time I had a lot of sugar left in my mash tun.

I'm thinking this time I would like to use some of that.

Eventually I'd like to work it out so I can run the recipe as a grain-only partigyle, but I need to inch into it, as I'll need a better handle on how to calculate my gravities.

My plan is to take my original recipe for the Hoppy Valley DIPA and add 10-20% more base malt.
I'll do the math to determine how many points will end up in the kettle at boil volume (based on pre-boil gravity), then try and put together a SS (if I have time, if not I'll just use a calculator) to input current volume and current gravity while running off. It will output the total points in kettle. When I hit that number from my target, I will stop runoff and top off with water and get that boil going.

Then I will run off the remainder, tracking the sugars down to 2 degrees plato. I stop at 2 degrees, stir and take a measure of the gravity and volume. I can then calculate an extra-light DME addition to achieve a desired Pale Ale or ESB pre-boil gravity, and water to get to volume.

Having learned how much sugar I can get from the second runnings (I fly sparge) I can adjust upward with my DIPA mash in future batches to introduce more sugars from the mash and work towards an all-grain end result.

Sound reasonable?

My DIPA has a specific recipe and I'm okay with the base malt adjustments, but I need to hit specific volumes and numbers for it. I'm a bit more open with the 2nd batch, as I'm just trying to figure out ways of doing the partigyle for fun (and beer).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like a plan to me... some thoughts would be you could just drain off 7 gallons or whatever your preboil amount... add some more 2row and maybe a touch more crystal (mash it for a little while) to increase the mouthfeel & gravity. I have to assume you are going to be mashing your IIPA a few degrees lower than you would normally mash an APA and doing this might make up for it a bit.

Here is a really simple calculator that I used when doing my partigyles:

http://www.astrocaver.com/java/Parti-Gyle.html

Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Can you quantify how much sugar you left behind before? I batch sparge and my numbers run 50%, 33% and 16%, so it is very easy for me to set up a partigyle. I just use half of the first sparge or all of the second.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

my pre-boil volume for DIPA is 18.5 gallons. Post boil gravity is 1.090 (this time).

I try to keep everything in 15.5 gallon batches now (everyone gets a carboy).

I think my runoff was at about 8 plato when I stopped the runoff on the last DIPA.

I guess there's no reason why I could not batch sparge it... I'll have to consider the options.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

that calculator suggests that with a 50/50 (two 15 gallon batches), for a 1.090/1.045 I would start with a 1.067. That is planning for a 30 gallon batch, right?

Calculating my recipe to that has 78 pounds of grain. I've got a blichmann 20G, so I'm not going to fit that much in it to mash. If I track my runoff down to 2P, I can take a volume measurement on this time through and see what it is. Is it close to a 10g batch? If so I can pull out my keggle, dust it off, and plan on doing the 2nd batch as a 10g in the future. I'll need to plan the first one based on carboys people can take home, but knowing it in the future will mean I can say 3 carboys of DIPA and 2 carboys of ESB, or whatever.

Quick Reply