Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial mashing in the oven?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
bell0347
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Partial mashing in the oven?

Is there any issue with mashing my grains in my 5 gallon SS pot and placing the whole thing in the oven to maintain temps. Then dumping the mash into my little MLT I built. Would the pouring cause hot side aeration or any other detrimental effects, or is this even an issue?

B.Bell

"Hell, it aint rocket surgery"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first. :D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Read this thread and relax...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/hot-...m-idiot-71873/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never done the oven mash trick, but have always wanted to try it. Seems like a great way to keep a stable temp. Even it the oven temp is a bit high or low it should be close enough to minimize tun fluctaution.

If the minimum oven temp is 180 - 200, I would just shut it off and let it "caost"

I wouldn't lose any sleep over HSA.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

I've tried it in an oven at 200F. It worked fine. It actually gained a few degrees in the hour. So, I might try what wilserbrewer said and just turn the oven off after placing the kettle inside. I found that the better method is to heat the mash water in the kettle to the target temp, place the kettle on a folded towel on the ground, add grains, place lid on kettle, and cover with several other towels. I never lose a degree like this.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I do my PM in the oven for an hour. I have one of those little thermometers that sit on the oven rack and I try to keep the oven temp within about 10 degrees of my mash temp. I know that's kind of being overanal with it, but it really only means turning the oven on for a few minutes twice during the hour when I give it a stir. Works great.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply