Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial mash vs extract brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #11
Parker36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here is a link on partial mashing

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18-3.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 04:55 AM   #12
grove
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIP View Post
Ok, so maybe I am not doing a PM. Anyone have a good link to a partial mash writeup to clarify?
Here is another good link on partial mashing:

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing

I used my new 3 gal Rubbermaid yesterday w/ a grain bag using this link as a guide and everything worked out fine. Using 4lbs of grain in the mash and 4.4lbs extract added at flameout, I did a 4g partial boil, topped off w/ cold water in the fermenter and got 5 gallons of 1.050 wort which is bubbling away happily now.

I don't think I'll ever go back to an all-extract brew.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #13
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have always been a PMer. Everybatch i have made has been partially extract, partially steepage of a grain bag. The MLT is now built and so are 2 heatsticks. Im ready for the big leagues.

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 AM   #14
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Deathbrewer has a great write up on here (I'm too tired to look it up so you can all get off your butt and do it yourself ) that is a great way to get going in the process. I don't use his method, but it's a good one too.

One thing I like about partial mash is that I started mashing a couple lbs of grains (I just typed that as brains... man, I AM tired) at first and now I'm mashing 8 lbs or so and only using 3 to 5 lbs of extract to make up the difference. I've noticed a great increase in the quality of my beers as I've moved to more mash and less extract.

I don't have the ability right now to do a full boil, so unless I want to use a ton of grain, I need to make up the difference with extract. Someday I'll move up to AG, but I'm completely satisfied with my partial mash brews. Hell, I finished second in the HBT comp with a partial mash APA.

If you can do an extract brew, you can partial mash. It's really not that much harder. If you can read a thermometer and pour water, you can do a partial mash. Once you start playing with different crystal malts, biscuit, special B, chocolate malt and all the other fun options, you really start getting into the creative side of brewing which, to me, is what it's all about.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Recusit8m
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Im a partial masher myself and what I typically do is set up my recipes via Beersmith and i use a high percentage of base malts and typically use only a pound or so of XLDME...Batches all come out great (well so far...lol)...My set up is a 5G IGLOO cylindrical w/ PVC manifold and ball valve...Turkey fryer w/ 7.5G SS brewpot (Bass Pro Shops)...I warm the cooler with hot tap water for about 15min or so, Mash in, Vorlauf, Batch sparge, Immersion Cool, Aerate and pitch...Efficiency is about 75-80%...Works well for me...I would like to go AG but for now Im much happier than Extract...Gives me more control and I now buy base malts in bulk...2 Row and Marris mostly...

Old 10-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #16
peripatetic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove View Post
Wow -- that is a fantastic link. I guess maybe there is no single definition of "partial mash" -- that one to me looks like about half-way between what I've seen called "partial mash" elsewhere and a true all-grain.

It turns out there is a whole spectrum between all-extract and all-grain. The choice of where on that spectrum you end up is completely up to you. Take small steps, stay in your comfort zone, and definitely RDWGAHB!

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Wow -- that is a fantastic link. I guess maybe there is no single definition of "partial mash" -- that one to me looks like about half-way between what I've seen called "partial mash" elsewhere and a true all-grain.

It turns out there is a whole spectrum between all-extract and all-grain. The choice of where on that spectrum you end up is completely up to you. Take small steps, stay in your comfort zone, and definitely RDWGAHB!
There IS a definition- it's when the grains are mashed. Whether you mash the full batch or only a smaller amount of the grains (partial mash), it's still mashing.

Steeping is like making tea- you're extract flavor and color from grains that are already processed to have their sugars/flavor/color release into water.

Mashing is when you use malts that have diastatic power to actually convert starches into fermentable sugars. The key is to use a prescribed amount of water at a prescribed temperature, and the proper amount of malts with diastatic power to convert. You must have base malt for this process.

The process appears to be similar technque-wise, but they are NOT the same thing.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
peripatetic
Recipes 

Ah, OK. I'm new to this -- forgive me, all. There are plenty of posts that refer to "partial mash" or "mini-mash" where they are really just talking about steeping. Some homebrew stores even sell kits labeled like that, but it is just steeping. As always, though, you've set me straight Yooper! Thanks.

[Edit: Also, I now realize that this is what jldc was trying to tell me, but I didn't read his post carefully enough -- my bad!]

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Last edited by peripatetic; 10-26-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #19
ezerhoden
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have two reasons for switching to partial mash.
1. Cost savings. Base malts are much less expensive than extract.
2. I can use ingredients that are not available with extract brewing.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #20
cell
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your replies! I think it answers my question.But I'll stick to extract brewing until I'm ready to spend more $$ on more equipment...

Quick Reply