Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial mash vs extract brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
cell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Partial mash vs extract brewing

Why do people switch from extract brewing to partial-mash brewing? Is partial-mash cheaper? Does it make better beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Partial mash is kind of an in between step between extract and AG. Some people use it as a way to learn the AG methods, others don't have the space or equipment for AG so its the closest they can get.

You can make great beer with either method, but partial mash gives you more freedom and control over what goes into it

Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm a partial masher who started as an extract brewer. I do it for four reasons (in no particular order):

1. To learn mashing/sparging/lautering techniques on a small scale
2. To add a "fresher" malt flavor to my beer (this could be debated)
3. To use grains that must be mashed, for which there is no extract available
4. To feel a bit more connected to the brewing process instead of just dumping ingredients together.

On the whole, I like it, but it is a bit more work and lengthens the brew day compared to extract brewing.

-Steve

Planning: n/a
People Like This 
Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
peripatetic
Recipes 

Partial mash is simply extract brewing with one extra step -- you steep a bag of grains at the beginning. Everything else is the same. With the wide variety of specialty grains available, adding this one very simple step (requiring zero extra equipment) can give you a lot of flexibility in terms of the flavor of your beer.

It really is a small leap. In fact, my very first kit was an "extract kit" with a bag of grains to steep. I didn't even know at the time that I was technically doing a "partial mash."

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I didn't know until now that I am a partial mash brewer. lol

The least grains I have used is 2 lbs.

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Partial mash is simply extract brewing with one extra step -- you steep a bag of grains at the beginning. Everything else is the same. With the wide variety of specialty grains available, adding this one very simple step (requiring zero extra equipment) can give you a lot of flexibility in terms of the flavor of your beer.

It really is a small leap. In fact, my very first kit was an "extract kit" with a bag of grains to steep. I didn't even know at the time that I was technically doing a "partial mash."
PM is more than Extract with steeped grains. It requires steeping at controlled temperatures and using grains with diastatic power (the enzymes to cleave starches into simple sugars).

Last edited by jldc; 10-26-2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #7
peripatetic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
PM is more than Extract with steeped grains. It requires steeping at controlled temperatures and using grains with diastatic power (the enzymes to cleave starches into simple sugars).
Well, yes. You have to use the right grains, and you have to steep it correctly. That goes without saying (I thought). But it is correct to say that it only adds one step to the process, and shouldn't be seen as anything to be intimidated by. That was my main point.

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Well, yes. You have to use the right grains, and you have to steep it correctly. That goes without saying (I thought). But it is correct to say that it only adds one step to the process, and shouldn't be seen as anything to be intimidated by. That was my main point.
I think you are confusing steeping grains and a partial mash. They are different and although not overly difficult, PM does involve more

Old 10-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #9
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok, so maybe I am not doing a PM. Anyone have a good link to a partial mash writeup to clarify?

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 10-26-2009, 02:40 AM   #10
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
OK, I agree with that.

Quick Reply