Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial Mash Temperature Reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
dipflop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Partial Mash Temperature Reading

The last couple partial mashes I had a hard time getting a temperature reading. I use one quart of water per pound of grain. I throw a floating thermometer into the pot with the mash and there isnt enough water to get a good reading. When I try to get a reading from a lab themometer it changes depending on where I put it.

What would be the effects of using more water in the mash or is there a better way to go about getting a temp reading.

Thanks and Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

1qt per pound of grain is a little on the thick side. 1.25-1.3qt is a little more typical.

it sounds like you just need the right kind of thermometer for the job. something that doesn't need to be inserted too deep to get a good reading.

I like instant read kitchen thermometers, like what the food service industry uses.

the lab thermo changes because water often is not a consistent temperature. if you read up on fluid thermodynamics it'll shed some light as to why water temperatures get stratified.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-17-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Stir the grain well just before the reading (burner off). The temp should be the same anywhere in the mash.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Last edited by WBC; 07-17-2008 at 03:12 AM.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
portlandbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WBC hit it on the head. I broke my glass thermo while using it to stir 7 pounds of grain. Now i use a big wooden spoon to stir for a good 20 seconds before the instant read thermo his the mash. works like a charm.

and the guy at my LHBS said not to worry about the glass shards, they'll all settle down in the primary. haven't cut my throat yet

I drink I have a thinking problem!!!

Quick Reply