partial mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I have a partial mash brew with the following crushed grains in a muslin bag.
#1/2 two row
#1/2 crystal 40
#1/2 carafa III

Instead of heating water up in my pot and steaping the grains..etc

Can I just mash this in a small igloo lunch kit. With the two row would'nt it be better if I mashed it rather than steeping it?

I would think it would be ok just to mash it and then rinse the grains with hot water, as long as you did not rinse to much, keeping an eye on the sugars with a refractometer.
Thanks

Boy, that sure seems like a lot of carafa III to me. I've never used more than a couple of ounces in one batch. What are you making, and what's the rest of the recipe?

You could heat your water and mash in the cooler, no problem. Try to use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, for a total of 2.25 quarts of water, and mash at 153. When you sparge, you can use up to .5 gallons of water per pound, for a total of 1.5 gallons of sparge water. I wouldn't worry about using a refractometer or anything, just use the amount of sparge water you need up to 1.5 gallons. Try to keep the sparge water and grains in the 170 degree range during the sparge.

I got a kit from AHS its a dark ale .......The rest of the bill is 6.5 lbs of amber extract.....

The grains are already crushed....

Think it will be ok?

I weighed the grain bag and it weighs a a little over a pound and a half so their must be #1/2 carafa III?

I weighed the grain bag and it weighs a a little over a pound and a half so their must be #1/2 carafa III?

I like the AHS kits, so I'm sure it'll be ok. It just surprised me, that's all. I bet it's debittered, so that it will be just fine.

Anyway, you can mash it as described and then sparge, and you should be all set!

Back