Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial Mash Pumpkin Ale HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Scot_chale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Partial Mash Pumpkin Ale HELP!

my buddy and I are brewing Northern Brewer's Smashing Pumpkin ale. We got 2lbs of 6-row and a large bag to do the partial mash in. Our problem is the pumpkin. They are out of season. We do not have access to canned pumpkin without preservatives. Can we still use it if we use a yeast nutrient?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot_chale View Post
my buddy and I are brewing Northern Brewer's Smashing Pumpkin ale. We got 2lbs of 6-row and a large bag to do the partial mash in. Our problem is the pumpkin. They are out of season. We do not have access to canned pumpkin without preservatives. Can we still use it if we use a yeast nutrient?
Canned pumpkin is fine. Most preservatives are ok, but steer clear of sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

also- would it make more sense to do the partial mash in a smaller pot and transfer the wort to the main kettle or just do it all in the main kettle?

Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
also- would it make more sense to do the partial mash in a smaller pot and transfer the wort to the main kettle or just do it all in the main kettle?
It depends on how big of a boil you're doing, and how many pounds of grain you're mashing.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

we will do a full volume boil for a 5 gallon batch. we are mashing 2 lbs of 6-row. the kit also includes specialty grains that are meant for steeping. how do we incorporate those?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
we will do a full volume boil for a 5 gallon batch. we are mashing 2 lbs of 6-row. the kit also includes specialty grains that are meant for steeping. how do we incorporate those?
I've never done a PM pumpkin beer, but I have made a few Northern Brewer kits. I'm surprised that they didn't include adequate instructions. I know they used to have them right on their website, even. I can't tell you how to do their kits, I'm afraid.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
bxtzd3
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

well 2things. one, the extra grain is for what? second , on the site under more info you will find the instructions for steeping grains. if I'm not mistaken, and u sure I could be , it's a 15-30 min steep. there is actually a you tube vid on it somewhere. just thinking of why add grain that didn't come with the kit.

You are witnessing the birth of Riley's angry Irish Breweries. How lucky for you!

Prim- Angry and Pale, ale
Sec- Angry Irish Smashed Pumkin Ale
Bottled- Angry Mardi Gras Special
Cask- epic failure

Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

well- we brewed last night. we ended up mashing 2lbs of 6row with the specialty grains (.5lb caramel 40) and 6lbs of butternut squash. i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Zandrello
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a question about this Scot chale??

I actually called NB about their Smashing Pumpkin Ale TODAY. I asked them if they had the kit in a Partial Mash version, because I do not yet have all the equipment for All-Grain brewing. They informed me that this kit DOES NOT come in Partial Mash, only Extract or All-Grain.

My point is, are you sure you are not confused, and you actually got an All-Grain kit?

Side Note: To answer your question from earlier for future reference, when I did a Partial Mash kit from NB, I have usually done my mash rest in a smaller 5 gal kettle, because it is small enough to put in the oven, and because a thicker mash will hold temp better. Also, I put all the grains in one of their Nylon Mesh brewers bags. It worked AWESOME, and made straining the grains a snap!
If kept on very low heat, the oven will hold the mash consistently at around 152-155 for a full hour. THEN I strained it all into my 7.5 Gal brew kettle and added 170 degree strike water to start the boil.

Bottled: Soon to be Buffalo Sweat
Upcoming brews: Another Summer Ale of some sort, maybe another lighter IPA?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I called it "partial mash" because we were mashing the steeping grains and 2lbs of 6-row then adding it to the extract kit. it may not fall under the true category as a "partial mash", but considering we were mashing part of the fermentable sugars then adding extract, i thought the term was used properly. we did the mash in a 4 gallon kettle with 2 gallons of water, then added it to my 7.5 gallon kettle for a full volume boil.

Quick Reply