Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial Mash: Is an Hour too long to steep?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
syd138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Partial Mash: Is an Hour too long to steep?

So I just finished with my 3rd batch doing a partial mash.

I generally steep my grain for about an hour at around 155.

I honestly can't say that there has been anything wrong with the taste of my beer. The only thing I can say is that it is probably darker than normal.

So am I totally screwing everything up by doing it this long? Should I do more like 1/2 an hour? Pros/Cons to either way?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you do a regular mash it is almost always an hour long, so steeping or partial mashing for an hour won't do anything but get you ready for all grain. Partial mashes should probably be done for about an hour anyway, steeping you can get by with 20-30 minutes, but an hour won't hurt.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I do mine for an hour. Conversion probably completes within 45, but it doesn't hurt to go a little longer. Most of the color influence from the grain seems to happen in the first 10-15 minutes, so I don't think going longer makes it any darker.

One thing that might help with color (if you're not already doing this) is adding the extract late in the boil instead of the beginning. I shoot for 3 gallons of runoff between the mash and sparge, add only add about a cup of extract at the beginning and then put the rest of the extract in at the 10 minute mark (off heat while adding). I've been able to make some pretty light colored brews this way.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Quick Reply