Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial Mash and Hot Side Aeration (HSA)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
zyx345
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Partial Mash and Hot Side Aeration (HSA)

I just did a partial mash brew and I definitlely subscribe to RDWHAHB. I use a 2 gallon igloo liquid cooler for mashing with BIAB.

Last week I brewed NB's Rye PA (Partial Mash). After mashing, instead of slowly pouring the wort into the boil kettle with a hose, I simply lifted the bag, picked up the cooler, and dumped the 150 degee wort into the pot so it definitley aerated a little. Same with the sparge water.

I've read that aerating the hot wort pre-boil can cause oxidation long term. I've searched the forum and also read John Palmer's info on his below:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

Has anyone experienced oxidation or off flavors in their home brews due to HSA or is this mostly an issue for commercial brewers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

HSA discussion and "RDWHAHB" don't belong in the same post LOL............

When doing all grain batches I collected wort in a 5 gallon bucket and then dumped it into my brew pot. Did this for about year (20+ batches). I never noticed any oxidation or other negative effects.

I stopped the bucket dumping method once I reconfigured my setup. Not because there was anything wrong with it just bc it was an unnecessary step.

So no, I don't subscribe to the whole HSA theory for homebrewers.

Currently Fermenting: Charlie Sheen (barleywine)

Kegged: Tiger Blood IPA, Irish Red, Strict Observance Tripel

Bottled: Dry Stout, Pliny the ..... Squirrel?, Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply