New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial Mash, few ?s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
TejasBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Partial Mash, few ?s

I started brewing about a year ago and have always done partial mash brews from Ahs. I have had good luck hitting close to my og numbers, but the last brew I did came from a different place and the instructions called for a 90min mash vs my old 45min mash. It called for more sparge water instead of 1qt per 2lbs of grains . Well my OG ended up low , it called for an 1.054 og and I had a 1.046 og. Should I stick with my old method or does anyone have a good method that I should try.

Thanks

Drew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually do 1.5qts per pound of grain when mashing. I dont know where you got your kit at. Usually you want to follow the kit instructions but sometimes the instructions just dont make any sense. That's when you should just do it your own way. Sometimes a 90min mash is justified. I dont think it's that unusual. I would say sound advice would be to get a solid brewing system down and dont deviate from it unless you're doing something special like a step mash or a decoction. That way you know what to expect.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply